Sparky7807
Newly Registered

Transplanting Rasberries

I live in the woods in Florida. I have found wild Rasberries and I would like to transplant them to my land. Any information on how to do this would be appreciated.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Just dig a few of the roots out...re-plant them in your garden and cut the canes down to ground level so that they give the roots a chance to establish.
Best done when the plants are in the dormant stage....but providing you cut them down they stand a good chance of growing away.

Runningtrails

Raspberries are so easy to grow! I have moved mine a few times without problems. Dig the hole first and fill it with water, then put the plant in it and cover gently with soil. Water again. Lots and lots of water.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I usually transplant most everything to containers for a season or two before moving them to a permanent location. Raspberry plants are so tough however that you can likely put them straight into their bed. Just keep in mind the aggressive rambling character of the plants. It is easy for a bed to get out of hand. Also late afternoon sun can be a problem for them here in the south, so I generally place mine on the east side of a tree such that the plants get afternoon shade or filtered light. To help confine the plants I grow mine in 4 foot square 10 inch deep planting boxes that are sitting on plastic film. That way all suckers are confined to the box and there is no maintenance to keep the bed in bounds.

Here is the bed during its first season. Plastic has now been covered with leaves.
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4656506832_1fbac6c3dc_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4534384167_b4fb3e29d2_o.jpg[/img]

Return to “All Other Fruit”