kossde
Newly Registered

Baby Pomegranate tree

I bought a Wonderful Pomegranate tree about a week ago and planted it. It's young- about 5 feet tall and pretty scraggly. It has grown about two inches
since I planted it; but I suspect that's because it's coming out of dormancy.

The problem I have is; I can't tell when to water it. Last year I planted (and almost killed) a crape myrtle. I kept reading about how one shouldn't 'over-water' them. So I didn't over-water it. The thing is, I live in Texas, we planted it in July, and my definition of 'over-watering' seemed to be different from the crape myrtles. After it wilted considerably, I began watering it every day. It perked right up, began blooming, and went on to grow a foot before winter. It's already come back this year strong and happy. But the pomegranate tree isn't 'showing' me that it needs water like the Crape Myrtle did!

Obviously, I'd like to not kill this pomegranate tree. How often should I water? Daily? Twice a week? Bi-weekly?

kossde
Newly Registered

I never got a reply to this, but that's ok. I ended up somehow burning the leaves off of the pomegranate tree. They all fell off (every one of them). but then they began to grow back. It's been an insanely hot summer here in Dallas, but the pomegranate tree has been quite happy- it's grown over 3 feet since we planted it. It also bloomed. Granted it only had two blooms and they didn't bloom at the same time, but I have high hopes for next year.

Interesting thing about watering the plant- It definitely doesn't 'need' a lot of water since it never gave any signs of becoming stressed due to dry conditions. That said, my neighbor (until I stopped him) had decided he needed to water his yard daily. The water was funneling under our fence and pooling around my pomegranate tree. The tree shot off like a rocket! it's growing about an inch a day right now. I had to stop my neighbor, though, because I have heavy clay soil and don't want the tree overwatered. Also- we're under extreme drought conditions and watering more than twice weekly is against the law.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I have a potted dwarf pomegranate. If I forget to water it shows no stress but LOVES a good deep watering regularly.
Good luck and I hope you get lots of fruit !

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

They often lose their leaves when they are transplanted. I have found that watering them in the summertime twice a week is fine, it seems to be doing well with what you are doing, as they say if it isn't broke don't fix it.
If you didn't when you planted it don't fertilize it for a year. If you put fertilzer of any kind in the hole that could have made the leaves drop too.
You might want to check out the following two articles by extention sites
www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pomegranate.html
https://www.ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/pomegranates.html

soil
Greener Thumb

we watered our pomegranate for the first two years, about once a week real deep. and then stopped. we have real hot summers. but pomegranates once established are real hardy. the older they get the less care they need.

FlowerPowerGirl

Has anyone tried to grow a pomogranite tree from seed? Does it work?

adobo

FlowerPowerGirl wrote:Has anyone tried to grow a pomogranite tree from seed? Does it work?
yes. you can grow pomegranate from seed

here is my baby:
[img]https://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/undergroundchef/NIMG_1162.jpg[/img]

DeborahL
Green Thumb

How cute ! Nice work !

JustNorthofDFW
Newly Registered

I had the same problem with my crepe myrtle lol. A good heavy rain helped me to figure out that I was under-watering it.

I'm also planning on buying a pomegranate tree too, but I wonder how well did it survive winter in the DFW area. I think I might also have to plant sometime in late January (is that advisable)?

Do you think grapes would do well not too far away from it?

Thanks for any responses :D

imafan26
Mod

Pomegranates are tough plants and don't need a lot of water. I have grown them from seed. I had a dwarf pomegranate that I kept pruned into a small shrub.

aajdaa
Newly Registered

I recently bought two baby pomegranate trees. For now I have them in a pot that I bought them in. I'd really be grateful for any advice on how to take care of them :oops: The leaves are smewhere between yellow and green at the moment. Should I plant them outside or should I leave them in the pot(maybe put them in a bigger pot)? (if I am informed correctly, the zone I live in is 7)
Also, do these trees grow fruit or are they only decorative?
I'll be really thankfull fo any informations! :oops:

imafan26
Mod

Dwarf pomegranates make good bonsai so they can tolerate being in a pot. If it is pot bound it could be potted up otherwise it should be o.k. Pomegranates like a well drained slightly acidic soil. Even if you have a standard pomegranate they can be kept smaller in a pot. Dwarfs will get about three ft tall but a standard pomegranate will be 8-10 feet tall.

Try to keep them in the sun as much as possible. They come from hot dry climates so they should be almost dry before watering again and they do not tolerate standing in water so ditch the saucer. The do go dormant in winter and do most of their growth in Spring and Summer. So just before they break dormancy is the best time to feed them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”