Vorguen

Finding a Mango seed

So, my family in mexico buys mangos that are very sweet and delicious, and I know sometimes planting a seed of the fruit you eat isn't what you get.

Is this the case with mangos? If I plant that mango will I get another?

How can I ensure myself to get that delicious Mango I love to eat?

Thank you for your help :)

Rogue11

Mangos grow on trees, so technically you can grow them from a seed but it would take several years before you have a tree big enough to produce fruits. It might be better to buy a small mango tree at a nursery.

Vorguen

how do you know if the seed will produce something as delicious as the fruit though?

also.. it might be nearly impossible to know if I can find a mango tree grown organically, with things treated on the plants now a days I'd be afraid to buy a non-organic tree from a nursery who knows what it could have on it :/

applestar
Mod

As far as I know, Mangoes are self-pollinating, so I believe there is a good chance of getting same kind of offspring from seed grown mango trees in about 5 years.

dearmad

Vorguen wrote:how do you know if the seed will produce something as delicious as the fruit though?

also.. it might be nearly impossible to know if I can find a mango tree grown organically, with things treated on the plants now a days I'd be afraid to buy a non-organic tree from a nursery who knows what it could have on it :/
Don't you think the evil stuff might wear off if you grew it organically yourself for a year or so? :?

Vorguen

dearmad wrote: Don't you think the evil stuff might wear off if you grew it organically yourself for a year or so? :?

Actually... I don't know this, can someone please tell me if this is true because it would ease my mind a lot...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Vorguen wrote:how do you know if the seed will produce something as delicious as the fruit though?

I think I saw this scene in "Portlandia?" :P

Vorguen

What do you mean? And I'm legitimately confused as to how this works still... I've been wanting to know what fruits I can grow from seeds and will actually come out the same fruit

O_O

applestar
Mod

OK. I just entered [pollination hybrid] in Search the Forum (dark gray link bar across the top of the page) search box and got a few of the remembered threads with really detailed info. See what you think.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Mother planted seeds from several grocery store fruits in her back yard in Tempe AZ. They all grew fast she had plums the 3rd year and the tree was 20 ft tall then and made 2 bushel baskets of plums its 3rd year. She planted a pecan it grew a tree in a few years too and made about 2 bushel baskets of pecans its 4th year. My mother has a grapefruit tree, orange tree, lemon tree that all make 6 to 8 bushel baskets of fruit each year. Things grow fast in Tempe with warm weather year round it is like having 3 years of growth in 1 year.

I planted 5 pecans in my yard in Tennessee 3 came up and 1 died. The 2 trees are 15 ft tall now and 10 years old but no pecans yet.

adobo

You can get a scion from a mature tree and graft it on a young root stock. It will produce much earlier and the tree will not grow as big as the ones from seed.

BTW, Have you tried our mangoes from the Philippines?

Return to “All Other Fruit”