Vorguen

Year Round Fruit Harvest Possible in South Texas?

noob gardener question of the day...

is this possible?

for example, my favorite fruits are blueberries and mangos, both of which I think can grow in South Texas.

Is there any way to get a year long harvest?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've not grown Mango's and this year is the first I've attempted Blueberries and the plants are just starting out, so I can't comment on them.

That said, I've had other fruiting trees and bushes and have never had an all-year type harvest. My figs will come in around late June/early July and are done. Citrus will come in between October and December. Blackberries will come in same as the figs and are done. These trees, bushes etc. go through a dormancy period and will not produce all the time.

applestar
Mod

You might have a year-round harvest of different kinds of fruits, but not the same one.

However, you could have an extended harvest period for each kind of fruit by selecting and planting different cultivars that mature at different times -- early-season, mid-season, and late-season.

For example, if I had the room to plant them and really wanted to, I could harvest apples from July until late October.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You might have a year-round harvest of different kinds of fruits, but not the same one.

However, you could have an extended harvest period for each kind of fruit by selecting and planting different cultivars that mature at different times -- early-season, mid-season, and late-season.

For example, if I had the room to plant them and really wanted to, I could harvest apples from July until late October.
I love apples and wish I could grow them here, but it is too hot for too long. I've never even seen or heard of an apple tree in New Orleans.

I am currently trying a more heat tolerant variety of Blueberry but they are lagging far behind the thornless blackberry plants I put in earlier this year. Where you live is a trade-off sometimes with what you can and can't grow.

applestar
Mod

But gumbo, you can grow things I can't here, so we're even. You're right about the trade-off. :wink:

The key is as always, to research the plants and cultivars that are best suited to your specific region and your garden.

Vorguen

Good point. :)

What would a good starting point be?

this is a link to where I live

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Map_of_Texas_highlighting_Cameron_County.svg/631px-Map_of_Texas_highlighting_Cameron_County.svg.png[/img]

(city is brownsville and the region is often referred to as the "Rio Grande Valley")

applestar
Mod

Looks like you'll be growing all the things I can't or only with difficulty 8)

Not positive but look into --

Figs, Avocados, citrus fruits, pomegranates, Japanese persimmons, olives, mangos, passion fruits, Indian cultivar tea bushes (OK not fruit :wink:), pineapples?, bananas.... Oh loquats.

I'm sure there must be an equivalent berry-bearing plant if blueberries won't grow there.

Went looking for tropical fruits that taste like blueberries, but found instead that jujubes taste like green apples when unripe. Interesting since I've always heard that they taste like dates -- apparently this is when fully/overripe.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

First suggestion: Visit https://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/ for information on Sunset climate zone 27, "Lower Rio Grande Valley," where you live. Sunset will have info on plants that do well in its zone 27. (See elsewhere here at THG for my many posts on the Sunset climate zones, or simply read what Sunset.com has to say. :) )

Second suggestion: Contact your county ag. extension agent (office) for info on what grows in the county, times to plant (if there *are* recommended planting times), when those plants can be harvested, etc.

Then you'll have a selection of fruits/veg to choose from.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Last edited by cynthia_h on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vorguen

I have experience with what grows about 6 hours north of where I live and 6 hours south (my family in mexico has grown a lot of mangos, and citrus etc and in Houston my wife's family grows grapes, citrus, blueberries, and a few other things without a problem).

here where I live I've seen Aloe Vera grow successfully, tomatoes, peppers, papaya, citrus, and your classic herbs. Summers get hot, about 96-104 F or aprox 40 C, and winters can go as low as freezing but its not common. Usually they go about 40 F but its only for a short period of time, most winters will be consistently semi-cool at about 50's with one random drop of cold for maybe a few days then back to 50's. I've had snow only once in my life there since I was born.

Its strange conditions since the weather can go as high as 100+ and as low as freezing occasionally, I hope thats not bad for plants

thanrose
Greener Thumb

[url]https://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_ab.htm[/url]

There are blueberries that can grow in tropical and subtropical areas, and there are other fruits that need significant chill hours that have a few varieties that might make it. For instance, as a forager, I know a lot of Vaccinium spp. that produce nice wild blueberries, but they usually aren't V. corymbosum. V. myrsinites for one. Tiny plants, tiny berries. Grows in colonies.

Check out the tropical fruit link above for some general info. They are in Miami.

Another place to look that's much harder to search is ECHO. ECHO is maybe Naples area Florida, Gulf Coast, mid 'Glades. They do research on edible plants for world wide crops and small farmers. They also have a nursery that sells stuff. While they do have an online presence, I find it cumbersome for quick references. I'd support what they do, only you have to be pretty determined or motivated to find what you want in all their pages online. I know there are some youtubes with them, but probably not produced by them.

I think the key is not in finding northern stuff that will produce for you, but in finding analagous genus and species. So no quince jelly for you, but pindo palm jelly is cool. How are they alike? They're both yellow and gel really well.

Vorguen

I just found this info on a website, can anyone help me understand it?

"The Rio Grande Valley is globally known for more than 40 crops; primarily cotton, citrus, grain sorghum, sugar cane and melons

Vegetables formed the first great agricultural bonanza, when farmers from the Midwest originally cleared South Texas. The subtropical climate and long growing season, allowing them to produce two crops in one year on the same land attracted them"

What do they mean by producing two crops in one year?

also, does the 40 crops mean only about 40 crops can grow well here? and is that a good or bad number?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Vorguen wrote:I just found this info on a website, can anyone help me understand it?

"The Rio Grande Valley is globally known for more than 40 crops; primarily cotton, citrus, grain sorghum, sugar cane and melons

Vegetables formed the first great agricultural bonanza, when farmers from the Midwest originally cleared South Texas. The subtropical climate and long growing season, allowing them to produce two crops in one year on the same land attracted them"

What do they mean by producing two crops in one year?

also, does the 40 crops mean only about 40 crops can grow well here? and is that a good or bad number?

First things first. The mention of 2 crops a year also applies to me to some degree. I can grow several crops twice each year. I plant tomatoes in Feb/March for my summer crop and again in late summer/early fall for a later crop. Same with some beans, leafy greens, etc. I've had some success with cucumbers, eggplant, squash and some peppers giving me a later crop from a late summer planting.

It simply means you live in a temperate zone that has mild winters and you can grow many of the same crops twice a year. You can also grow 2 different crops. I grow what I consider fall crops of collards, broccoli, brussel sprouts, many leafy greens, onions, garlic etc. that just don't do well in the summer months for me.

Forty crops is a good number. It doesn't mean you are limited to the forty listed, but it is what the county agent/agricultural guide recommends for your area and does best in your zone. You can, by all means, experiment with different crops and may find many will grow well for you. However, you will also find some you like that will not grow well at all. That is just how it is. You can grow tropical fruits, but you can't grow apples. It's a trade-off that is designated by where you live.

Vorguen

ah thanks a lot for the info :) :)

good thing I don't like apples too much :P

but I'm guessing that also means pears... I love pears D:

I'm excited, thanks to you all I have actually bumped into a wealth of information.

Return to “All Other Fruit”