coolqcumber

melons and cantaloupe

hi everybody. I have two canteloupe seedlings and one honeyrock melon seedling. I was just wondering if planting these anywhere near each other will cause any problems down the road?

sorry for posting in the wrong section. I had just realized theres a fruit topic section.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Not for the fruit produced on this year's plants. If the plants cross-pollinate and you save the seeds from this years fruits, then there's no telling what traits next year's fruits will have ... other than that they'll be melons. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem.
Is the honeyrock a cantaloupe or a water melon? If a water melon, not a problem. If a cant, might be a problem if you want to save seed for next year. They will definitely cross pollinate. If you are not saving seed, it is no problem. They will send out a quite long vine, just give them 3 or 4 feet if you can.

coolqcumber

I appreciate the input. now I'm just waiting for the weather to be more spring like. the last few springs around here(south jersey) have started out much warmer, but this year is dragging. I have a room full of stuff that needs to get outside, and soon.

thanks for the info.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

One thng I would also add.
If you are growing cucumbers as well...keep them as far away as possable from the melons.
They will cross pollinate and can cause the cues to get ' blown ' ends.
Ruined a crop of all female Femspots for me one year.

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... Unless you are in coastal areas or urban warm zones (not too many of those in SJ) I think it's still early for cukes and melons to be set out? I usually wait until early May at the earliest, more like mid-May to be safe.... They like warm soil and the leaves are sensitive to frost.

I found out I live in a cold pocket and my last average frost date is a week later than everywhere else around here, but I was pushing it when I planted out tomatoes (with protection) 3rd week of April last year.

:oops: That said, I'm in the same boat. :oops:
I'm growing Luffa. Last year, the vines grew beautifully, was getting ready to swallow the garage, and was starting to flower JUST AS THE FROST came. So this time, I started the seeds extra early in late winter. I've had to uppot to a 1 gal container, and now they're starting to elongate -- sign that they want to take off and vine. :roll: This means they're going to want to grow more roots and I'll have to go up to a 3 gal pot, but that will make it EXTREMELY difficult to transplant without causing shock when the weather is finally warm enough, which probably won't be until 3rd week of May.... :? Last year, I planted them out, I think in mid-May WITH protection (but they only had 2 pairs of true leaves).

coolqcumber

good thing I decided to grow the cukes in the corn this year then, which is about 40 feet away from the cantaloupe/melon area. also growing some squash in there with the corn too.

I am aware that the melons prefer warmer temps. hopefully I can keep them in the house until at least the end of april. I can even cover the raised bed if need be. the thing is, I have everything under a 600 watt light and all of the little plants are starting to take off. by next week its going to be a jungle in there, lol. I just sit in there and admire the little ones, plus, it feels like summer in the room at 85 degrees.

on a side note, its looks like our 10 day forecast is showing lows settling into the 50s and maybe 60s so things are starting to look better around here.

thanks again and happy gardening everybody.

Return to “All Other Fruit”