panhandler

Grapevines and Fig Tree have not budded yet. should I be...

worried? I planted two bare root thompson seedless vines and one brown turkey fig (container grown) tree in January. about two weeks after planting we had sustained temperatures in the teens and low twenties. the only protection the tree/vines had was a 3" layer of mulch. I have no experience growing these two plants and I am not sure if they should be budding yet. Temperatures have been in the mid 70s to low 80s during the day and high 40s to low 50s at night for about two or three weeks. my apple trees, plum trees, and pear trees have all budded. can someone let me know if the plants may have been killed in the freeze, or if there is anyway to tell if they are still alive? If they were damaged I would like to make sure I get new ones platned before it's too late.

thanks

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Panhandle...afraid all you can do is wait and see.
If you scrape a little of the bark back on the plants they should show a healthy skin underneath.
They should have shown some sign by now of movement....but the cold could have shocked them into a slower growth rate ....so here's hopeing.
:?

Return to “All Other Fruit”