Linny
Cool Member

Avocado leaves curling up

I have looked for help on this but can only find comments about leaves turning brown. The plant is about 1 to 1-1/2 years old. The leaves were curling up and I pruned it back by about half the plants height in late fall. I got new growth, and now the new leaves are curling up. It is not currently getting a whole lot of sun and is kept inside until we are frost free. Any ideas?

applestar
Mod

In my experience, potted avocado leaves start to curl up when they are not getting enough moistiure.

This can be due to insufficient deep watering, too much constant moisture (due to heavy not well draining soil or not allowing soil surface to dry between watering) resulting in root rot and subsequent inability to draw adequate moisture for the existing foliage, or insufficient humidity.

When you say it's not getting a lot of sun, what do you mean exactly?

Linny
Cool Member

applestar wrote:
When you say it's not getting a lot of sun, what do you mean exactly?
It's in a "make-shift" greenhouse on the porch. It get's good light most of the day but no full sunlight. I am waiting for the last frost before I plant it outside.

From what you have said, I think I am not giving it the proper watering. Do you think it is also the lack of full sun?

applestar
Mod

It's very difficult for me, used to the weaker sunlight in NJ, to give sun intensity advice for Florida and other southern gardeners, but I'll give it a try.

Avocado is said to sun scald easily. The younger seedlings certainly are quite able to manage with just weak and limited winter sun in NJ homes. So it's possible that in Florida, young avocados might be able to manage without direct sunlight at all... or not.

I keep my avocados clustered around a SSE window but give them supplemental lights from both sides with clamp on utility lights fitted with 100W equiv. daylight CFL bulbs. The lights are turned on when I wake up and turned off when I go to bed. BTW, I mist them thoroughly (dripping) every morning.

However, this winter, I had an extra one that didn't fit and that one was kept in a NNW window -- no direct sun at all during the depth of the winter. Now, with the sun coming around more to the north, it gets about 1 hour of westering sun. It is spindly and has much weaker growth compared to the more properly cared-for plants, but it is managing to survive.

When the outside night time low temp warms up to 45+ºF, I gradually acclimate the avocados to longer sun exposure, eventually placing them where they get direct sun from sun up to sun down EXCEPT a couple of hours of the noon day sun.

In the fall, I bring them back inside when the minimum night time temp falls below 42ºF, before they go dormant and lose their leaves. But this probably would not be an issue for you in Florida.

Linny
Cool Member

I've never tried to grow an Avocado until now....but you sure have a lot of information on them! I would love so much to be able to go pick an Avaocado from my very own tree, but am wondering here....do they not grow that well in the warmer climates? If I plant it outside, do I need to place it where it will not get the noon sun? And thank you so much for responding. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to step out here and try to help me.

applestar
Mod

You are welcome :D

I've been growing my several little trees for a while now but they're all seedlings without high expectations. Part of the reason for not exposing them to complete full sun is the extended 6-7 months indoors that they spend.

I'm stepping back now for people with experience growing avocados in areas where they are winter hardy. :wink:

Linny
Cool Member

applestar wrote:You are welcome :D

I've been growing my several little trees for a while now but they're all seedlings without high expectations. Part of the reason for not exposing them to complete full sun is the extended 6-7 months indoors that they spend.

I'm stepping back now for people with experience growing avocados in areas where they are winter hardy. :wink:
Well I'm still greatful for your input. Good luck with your seedlings and thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate your advice on the watering and humidity tips. :D

applestar
Mod

:D I should have said "seed-grown trees" because "seedlings" sound like they're still little shrimps. A couple of them are twice as thick as my thumb.
I posted photos here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173115#173115

A new seed I grew this winter started blooming even though this one IS only a seedling. I think it's confused.... :roll:

Good luck with your avocado tree!

Linny
Cool Member

applestar wrote::D I should have said "seed-grown trees" because "seedlings" sound like they're still little shrimps. A couple of them are twice as thick as my thumb.
I posted photos here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173115#173115

A new seed I grew this winter started blooming even though this one IS only a seedling. I think it's confused.... :roll:

Good luck with your avocado tree!
Love the pics! Nice grass too by the way! Our yard is so sandy. Really have to work to get grass. Good luck to you again and thanks for your input.

Mustachemcgee
Newly Registered

image.jpeg
Can anyone maybe tell me what's wrong with my poor avocado tree? It's about two years old. I took it in for the winter and for the first 3 weeks or so it was thriving and grew very fast. Then the leave started browning on the edges, drying out and falling off. I read it could be salt building up in the soil from the tap water and that I should flush it. So I flushed the plant, let the water run out the bottom and once it stopped, put it back next to the window. Now the leaves are kind of curling and drying out, but not browning like before. What did I do!? See photos

image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “All Other Fruit”