sola
Newly Registered

Nectarine tree with peach leaf curl?

Hi

I bought a nectarine tree 3 years ago, and 2 years now it has had peach leaf curl which I found out this year. Someone suggested to buy a bordeax mixture and apply it when the last leaf falls off and again in the twice in the spring before the first leaves appear.

I looking for suggestions about this and is this the best way to do it?

I also need to prune the tree. There is some old growth ie wood branches, that have no leaves this year. Should I prune these and should I also prune the new brances ie green branches.
Does pruning help eliminate peach leaf curl?

Also should I prune and then apply bordeax mixture or vice versa?

At the bottom of the tree trunk (about 3 inches from soil) it appears distorted as if it had some disease. It leaks out sap sometimes, and the bark is gone. Any ideas what this is?

Thank you for your replies
Carlos

peachguy

Well for the leaf curl the only way I know to go is fungicide and spray just like you said, because it lives through winter also you may want to fingure out why you got leaf curl in the first place. Usually it appears because the air is to moist all the time, there is poor air circulation and it doesn't get much sun. If you have those problems I would try to fix those aswell as spraying the tree. The thing you mention on the bottom of the trunk seems to me like it is a tree borer or canker these can be quit serious and you may want to do a search for them or talk to someone at a local nursery about it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Fungicide sprays tend to cause more problems than they solve. What happens is that you end up killing all the flora and fauna both on your tree/plant. This includes the beneficials. Now, the only organisms that will grow are those (usually the pathogens) that are resistant to the fungicide. And there is nothing that eats them.

This is a huge problem in North America and Europe.

Anyway, a safe altenative that seems to work quite well is to spray the tree with an aerated compost tea. Non chlorinated water seems to work as well but, the tea has better results.

sola
Newly Registered

Thanks for your posts. Funny you should say "it kills the flora on hte tree". I have sprayed hte tree with pau darco, which is a anti fungal for people. I have Candida. Anyway I bought at a nursery an organic oil and sulfur and lime spray to be applied during the dormant period. I will try the aerated compost tea. Do you know where to buy this?

Thanks
Carlos

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Sola,

I suspect your tree has Fungal Gummosis. There's lots of info here for you to look at. There's also info on peach leaf curl.
https://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Fruit/Peach/peachtop.html

Here's some good info on peach leaf curl.
https://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omplfcrl.html

Newt

onetwo
Newly Registered

sola wrote:Thanks for your posts. Funny you should say "it kills the flora on hte tree". I have sprayed hte tree with pau darco, which is a anti fungal for people. I have Candida. Anyway I bought at a nursery an organic oil and sulfur and lime spray to be applied during the dormant period. I will try the aerated compost tea. Do you know where to buy this?

Thanks
Carlos
Hi, I've also read about the pau d'arco plant. Does anyone know whether pau d'arco can be grown in the northern US? If so, how does one go about getting a young plant? All I've read about is where to find the pau d'arco tea, capsules, etc... :) If you don't know off hand don't worry about taking the time to search for it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”