Hmoske

New tree not looking so good...advise?

We just planed a Yoshino Cherry Tree on Monday. As I had never planted a tree before, I did my research for 2 days after buying the tree to make sure we did it exactly how we should. It looked beautiful in the pot and the next day, Tuesday, it started to look very wilty and the flower petals have started to drop as of this morning. I'm hoping that it is just going through shock, but I am just wondering if there are any suggestions, such as fertilizer, etc.
Thanks in advance!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would suggest that in the planting the roots have been disturbed and the tree is suffering from lack of water uptake.
Make sure that it has a plentiful supply and I would suggest that if you have not used a stake then you put some form of support for the tree to stop any root movement by wind rock until it settles down.
You may well lose the flowers but the tree should recovour once its roots get gowing.
I would hold off the fert. until the tree looks more happier.

midn1352

Like Jona878 said, hold off on the fertilizer until your tree is established... fertilizer can burn your tree or somehow even confuse many fruit trees and prevent proper fruit-bearing. Water occasionally (don't over water b/c that's just as bad) and keep an eye out for parasites. Your tree should be back to normal after a week or so =]

Return to “All Other Fruit”