sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Honeoye, jewel, or sparkle? (strawberries)

BAH! I can't decide. I wanted honeoye because of the large production. my kids are fruit fanatics and they could care less of the sweetness factor, they'll eat it and they won't care LOL! BUT, the descriptions of the jewel or sparkle sound SO YUMMY!!! mmmmm. I would love the sweet ones for ME, but the kids eat so much fruit, the honeoye would be good for them. plus maybe we could freeze some. if we were getting a bundle of 50 seascape (day neutral type) if it were YOU, what 50 would you get of the spring variety? honeoye, jewel or sparkle? and why? thanks!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sheeshshe,

This is from University of Main.
Suggested Varieties

There is a wide selection of strawberry varieties to choose from that will perform well in New England, but it is important to select only those that have resistance to red stele and Verticillium root rots, produce vigorous plants, and have a consistent record of good yields and high quality fruit. Listed below are varieties that are disease resistant and have performed dependably in Northern New England. Further details on variety characteristics and performance are available from your Cooperative Extension office.

- Earliglow: An early berry of high quality. Fruit is firm with excellent flavor and color. Yields may be low in New England. Fruit size tends to decrease as season progresses. Plants are vigorous runner producers.
- Cornwallis: Productive. Medium-sized fruit with good flavor and color. Plants are vigorous and produce runners freely.
- Cavendish: Very productive. Large, firm fruit with good flavor, but with an uneven ripening habit. Plants are moderately vigorous.
- Redchief: Glossy, attractive, medium-sized fruit with firm texture and flavor. Good production. Plants are vigorous and do well in heavier soils.
- Allstar: Berries are large, conical and light red to orange with mild, sweet flavor. The plants are vigorous and make runners freely.
- Sparkle: Fruit flavor is excellent, but fruit is dark red and somewhat soft. Fruit size tends to decrease as season progresses. Plants are vigorous and produce many runners.
Looks like Sparkle is on the list. :)

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

hmmmm. I wonder why honeoye isn't on the list. it is what the farmers around here grow and recommend....
you think it is because they spray?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I think that you have to be very careful as to what farmers may grow and what is best for the garden.

As a farmer myself I have to grow fruit that will travel and store.
Yes it must have good flavour...but the first two principles are essential.
this means often that the best flavoured fruit is not used.

With transport in mind farmers have to grow a 'five bounce strawberry '. one that will not be just a mush by the time it reaches the shops.
In the garden we can grow berries that may be more delicate but have a far better flavour.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the thing is is that I"m ordering through Fedco and they are in my area, so I would think they'd offer what works for the area ya know? they only have honeoeye, sparkle, jewel, earliglo, seascape and something else. I guess I'll get honeoye, sparkle, and seascape. the only one on the Maine list is the sparkle... if they die then well... I'll have to replace them I guess... whats $14. LOL. I can't believe I just said that...I'm a huge penny pincher. :lol:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Give them all a go Shiela....as you say...it's only money ggg.

As to the vars. afraid that the only one I have heard of is Honeoye. That's planted quite a lot over here in the UK and is tha premier early var used as it crops a week ahead of Elsanta...tha most heavily planted var this side of the pond.
Sorry I can't help on the others.

applestar
Mod

I've seen honeyoy offered in catalogs for decades (wow that makes me sound old! :lol:) but at least in my area and in a Orgsnic Gardening mag issue frommabout 15 yrs ago, Earlyglow is the one most grown by u-pick farms for the earliest season starter.

I used to have Earlyglow and Allstar and Tristar. Now I have Tristar, Sweet Charlie, and Starks Red Giant (or something similar) and have some Seascape coming soon.

With a low tunnel cover, the strawberries start producing a lot earlier.

Oops! Forgot about F. virginiana wild strawberries (we WERE talking about named cultivars). These are my kids' hands-down favorite for flavor. Completely impossible to ship since they start turning soft within hours of picking and are best placed directly in the mouth as soon as they're picked and rinsed. :wink:

I did see a new introduction in Millers Nursery catalog described as developed in Canada.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

our lawn is covered in the wild strawberries :) the kids and the chickens fight for them :lol:

so I am just going to get honeoye, seascape, and sparkle. my friend and I will split it so we can pick 3 varieties instead of 2 :) good solution huh? :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”