ozark_rocks

Help me with my pineapples please

I'm growing pineapple plants, from the tops of supermarket pineapples. Two of them are about two years old and in 3 gallon planters. My first question is will this pot be big enough , or will it need to be re-potted to a bigger container before it bears fruit? I've read that it takes three years to get a pineapple, but have no idea how big the plant will or should get.

My next question is how much cold will these plants tolerate and still thrive. Right now they are in a room that sometimes gets into the lower 40's at night. The foliage seems fine , but will this slow down the plants growth, and delay fruiting?

Troppofoodgardener

Having never grown pineapples before, I can only go on the research I did online re. this topic. I am however interested in the subject, I just don't really like eating pineapple!

According to one website... https://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-take-care-of-a-pineapple-plant.html

"Container
If you are growing pineapple plants in the containers, you can choose a small one (about 8 inch diameter) as pineapple have a shallow root system. Heavy pots like ceramic ones are the best option, as the foliage may cause leaning of the plants in lighter containers."

"Temperature
Pineapple plants grow well in tropical and subtropical climatic condition. The favorable temperature range is between 60-75 degrees F. For the tropical climatic condition, the plants can be left outdoors throughout the year. Otherwise, protect the pineapple plants from frost."

"Growing pineapple requires lots of patience as the plant bears fruit after 2-3 years of plantation. In the first year, the plant produces green healthy foliages or leaves. The leaves are serrated and grow about 20-70 inch length. In the second year of plantation, the plant produces a flowering stalk that bears fruits later. A pineapple fruit (after emergence) requires about six months to mature. These sequence of events and/or fruit bearing duration may vary depending upon the variety and the growing conditions."

As for the SIZE of a pineapple plant, try https://www.bsi.org/brom_info/growing/pineapple.html

Apparently it may grow to around 4 feet or more in diameter, and about the same size in height. The author recommends a 5 gallon pot for the last potting.

lorax
Greener Thumb

3-5 gallons is preffered in the tropics for potted pineapples, and depending on the cultivar they'll get from about 4 to 6 cubic feet big.

Where did you buy the pineapples you're using (ie from which company)? If you can tell me that, I can get more specific for you. Most commercial pineapples don't produce the serrated foliage Troppo mentions - it was bred out of them for ease of harvesting. I personally grow both types - smooth-leafed gold-fleshed Hawaiians and serrated, pointy as all heck white-fleshed Ecuadorians.

ozark_rocks

Lorax, I don't remember what the tags said, they have been growing several years now, maybe two. I rooted them from Kroger pineapples, some are smooth and one is serreted. To make it worse I now have four more tops rooting...one of those was a Del Monty.

Troppofoodgardener, thanks for the links. They make very pretty plants and I can't seem to stop rooting them. I had no idea the grew so large, it is a good thing they are easy to give away or I would soon be overrun in folage.

lorax
Greener Thumb

OK... The Kroger smooths are likely Sugarloaf or a similar cultivar; the serrate one is probably an older cultivar type like Abacaxi or Criollo. The Del Monte will be Hawaiian types (even though they likely came from Ecuador) - those are Kona Gold in any case - Del Monte has gone out of the other types lately.

In all cases, for those cultivars they get about 5 cubic feet big for me. If I were you and had to cut down, I'd keep the serrated one and the Del Monte; they'll have the best flavour even as small fruits.

ozark_rocks

I have room for 3, maybe four of the big ones, provided they can over winter in a chilly room. I might find them harder to give away if I tell everyone how big they are going to get ....Oh well, it seems I can't dress a pineapple without rooting it(OCD) :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”