MawkHawk
Newly Registered

Melons in Containers

Hello, everyone.

I'm wondering if it is possible to grow smaller melons in containers, melons like Eden's Gem, Emerald Gem and Schoon's Hard Shell. If it is possible, how large should the containers be?

I grew these melons in my zone 6 garden this year and the vines only have grown about 4' so far and most of the fruits grew close to the crowns.

Thanks for your help.

Franco

It sure is!! I actually tried doing this this year with cantaloupe (musk melon) and they grew wonderfully, ontop of my roof haha. I don't know the size of the pots but they are definitely not huge but they are not small. Remeber though your plant will probably grow out of its container but since they are malleable vines I just entwined them with themselves. Good luck with that, I think I'm in zone 6 too, if not then I'm in 7. You should be ok, so have fun with it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, most plants can be grown in containers and melons also do well.

Though, if you live in North America; it may be a bit to late to plant them now.

AngryItalian

Ive tried that this summer: I'm growing this small muskmelon in a lage container and I have it spiralling up and around an old tomato cage I wasn't using and rite now it has one little melon growing on it!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Mmmmm, I like growing muskmelons, as well as Casabas. They are so yummy.

I personally don't do much container gardening anymore, but it does work.

MawkHawk
Newly Registered

What size container do you use to grow small melons? And how many plants per container? I'm thinking of using 5-7 gallon black grow bags.

AngryItalian

well this is my plant and my first experiment in growing a lmelon plant in a container and so far so good
[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/elbanfo/Plant%20Stuff/Melon002.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/elbanfo/Plant%20Stuff/Melon001.jpg[/img]

MawkHawk
Newly Registered

Wow, that's nice. Thanks.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoe cages for melons, ingenious Angry!

Return to “All Other Fruit”