gallum90

growing miracle fruit...

does ne one know when my seeds will sprout and then when they start making fruit?

and if ne one has some miracle fruit seeds that would be interested in seed swaping with me please let me know

peachguy

One thing I do no is that they seem to do nothing for the first year and don't grow at all. Then after it starts to grow at a steady rate.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Some seeds will sit in the soil over the winter and sprout in the spring. Other seeds should be planted in the spring. You can always start seeds indoors but, I would keep the plants indoors until the spring unless you want to plant winter crops like winter lettuces, kale, chard and so on.

peachguy

I ment was that it sprouts and gets a few true leaves and then doesn't grow at all for about a year and then really starts to grow well.

femlow

miracle plant seeds also lose their viability very quickly. They should be planted as soon as they are removed from the fruit. If they are very carefully dried, they may keep for up to two weeks, but after that are not worth much at all. This is part of the reason why seed sellers really don't sell miracle fruit seeds, making them extremely difficult to find. Best bet is to find someone with a plant and get some fresh berries from them.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's interesting because from my reseach and experience, seeds will last between 1 year and sometimes thousands of years. Generally between 1 and 4 years though. Seeds that are small like onions will last about 4 years or more but, larger seeds like that off the coffee tree will last between 1 and 4 years.

Of course over time you will have less germination of the seeds in a seed pack.

femlow

I think many seeds can last for quite some time, but the miracle fruit is an exception. It just starts to deteriorate very quickly once it is removed from the plant, and as it deteriorates, it becomes harder and harder for it to germinate. It is unusual to find though.

gallum90

I live in a cold climate so theres no one that has them growing out doors and I'm 15 and really doubt that ne one I know has miracle fruit so my only hope is that I can find some one that could mail a bunch asap cause I researched them a little and I found that I can grow them indoors pretty well

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

There are a lot of home grown seed companies with websites out there.

Anonymous

Freshness of seed is very important.
We only pick the MF fruits when there is an order for seeds, and include detailed instructions on how to germinate them.

This is how a fresh Miracle Fruit berry looks like when it is cut in the middle.
Notice that a fresh and healthy seed is green and NOT yellow inside.
If you cut open a seed and it is yellow or brown inside, most likely its embryo is dead and the seed will not germinate.
[img]https://costaricaphotos.com/d/21104-2/011.JPG[/img]

Regards,

Rodrigo

Return to “All Other Fruit”