HangOn

Is this an insect or a disease?

We've had, (and still having) a wetter than normal 6mths. Every fruit tree problem known, seems to be turning up. This one though, on this peach tree is new to me. Can someone out there offer advise please.

When the young fruit was about 1" in diameter, all of them had dimplelike markings on them. later at around 1.5" (when the picture was taken) there were brown spots and marks in the dimples and clear gel like stuff coming out of the fruit. When cut open, the brown marks/patches had gone through to the stone. What do you think this may be? Ray

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5331784599_0ca1c88efb.jpg[/img]

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi HangOn.
The likely candidate for your problem could be the plum curculio,

https://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/plumcurc.htm

Seems a good chance it is this little blighter.

??? :roll:

applestar
Mod

I would rely on JONA's diagnosis.

Do you agree that the plum curculio infestation can go on to introduce diseases like gummosis, either directly with them being carriers or through the wounds?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Yes Star....Gummosis can be a result of many things. Wounds, virus infection , damage from insect infection etc.
As usual with stone fruit by the time you see the problem it's often to late to do much about it.
Most of the damage is caused when the fruit is at a very young stage of developement and if you are going to spray then it has to be done at the Cot-split stage ....some 8 days after petal fall.

:cry:

HangOn

Thanks Jona, I have seen this beetle around, :o eg; on my raspberry bushes next to this peach tree, usually later in the season. Gummosis is also a problem with all my peach & nectarines. Thanks for the fact sheet link, Ray.

Return to “All Other Fruit”