Vesper

The saplings arrived! The roots were bundled together with wet pine shavings wrapped in wet newspaper, then tightly wrapped in a plastic bag. All of this was in a cardboard package. The box looked like it did well during transit. I did as the seller suggested and planted all three in a large pot. I then lined a garbage bag with straw and set the pot in there and lined between the pot and bag with some more straw. So hopefully it's pretty well insulated. It's on my unheated porch as well. Applestar, the weather here can be variable, but were looking ahead to twenties in the day and teens at night. The worst we usually get here is single digits at night, and if it ever gets below zero, it only last for a few days, but that's rare. I'm hoping they will last through the winter. I have always wanted paw paw trees in my yard. They are native to my state, but a pretty rare sight around this area. Again thanks to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it! :) :)

elsie44
Newly Registered

Hi - like you,I live in zone 5 and I just bought my first pawpaw seedlings and also 2 trees about 4 feet high now. Here is a link to a useful site and also a quote about overwintering. It sound like your porch will work for the first winter. Also another site showed photos of pawpaws outside in winter with various types of winter protection - wrapping with burlap, a winter shelter built high enough to also keep rabbits from chewing the trunk during high snow, wrapping the trunk with white wrap to keep out mice but remove in spring, in a sheltered area of a yard etc. Also a site said that 2 varieties of pawpaw are needed to fertilize and get fruit - something to do with different flowering times for male and female flowers. Be careful with the roots - fragile and a long tap root.
Good luck - to both of us . lol

Return to “All Other Fruit”