applestar
Mod

NEW PROJECT! Chestnuts :)

Some chestnuts I bought for the holidays have started to split at the pointy end in the fridge. In case they're trying to sprout, I've buried 3 of them at the base of my indoor basils that are starting to give up the ghost. 8)

There are 3 or so more chestnuts that are also doing this, so I'm going to pot those up and put them out in the unheated garage in the wrapped triple cardboard box where I have the potato experiment going. :wink:

Hopefully by sometime in spring, I'll have some chestnut seedlings either inside or out in the garage. :()

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Good luck. Maybe next Christmas, you'll be able to roast a few over an open flame!

Mike

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

what kind of chestnuts? whatever was at the store/probably european?

just curious.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful! But do you have room for them? Don't chestnuts get like 25' tall and wide?

applestar
Mod

:lol: It's a toss-up :lol:
On one hand, 25' HxW is better than 40' or 80'+, on the other, I WILL need two if I expect them to bear nuts. :roll:

Technically, I DO have room to put them in my front yard. I live on first 1/4 slice of a court just after the street widens and the developer chose to build the house after a long stretch of curving front yard so I have a big sunny expanse in the front yard. Because I installed the fence separating the oddly shaped front yard and the back yard to be considerate of our next door neighbor with 5 kids (the same one who sprayed my Native Shade Garden :evil:) there is a LOT of front yard left over. Now that their kids are mostly grown up (etc. 8)) I'm re-claiming my front yard and plan to eliminate much of the lawn which, as you know, I don't feel has any real value.

what kind of chestnuts? whatever was at the store/probably european?
THIS is actually my conundrum. I would have chosen to plant blight resistant Native American Chestnut or Native American Hybrid. As these are the grocery store chestnut (Whole Foods) -- approx. 1-1/2" rounded, not flattened -- it's very likely not either one, and you are probably correct. :? I will probably research some more about what they are before actually making the decision to plant them. Right now, I just want to see if they'll grow. :wink:

applestar
Mod

:clap: :clap: The little Chestnuts are SPROUTING :clap: :clap:

These are the ones I planted indoors.
One of them started growing a week or maybe 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't able to make a positive ID until a few days ago. And just now, before posting, I checked on the other two, which I thought had been "duds" and there they are, about 2~3" with true leaves growing. I swear it's only been a couple of days since I looked in there last, when I watered that pot. Maybe that's what triggered them to sprout.

The other one is already about 6" tall with several leaves. It has a secondary shoot growing out. For now, I'm leaving it there because with avocados and mangos, polyembryonic seedlings are self-fertile and I'm wondering if same holds true of Chestnuts.
Last edited by applestar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!!!! :flower: :clap: :clap:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and just think, in twelve to 15 years you may have your first nut. :wink:

Eric

applestar
Mod

:lol: well, yeah... but that's not the point as far's I'm concerned. :wink:

applestar
Mod

Did I post this link before?
www.acf.org/pdfs/resources/planting_manual.pdf

applestar
Mod

Here's my baby :D Photo taken about a week ago:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8397.jpg[/img]

The other chestnuts (I don't remember now how many -- more than 3) that I put in 2:1 moist sand:potting soil in a 1qt. deli container and put out in the unheated garage are also starting to sprout inside the container I noticed yesterday. I've NO idea what I'm going to do with them. I really can plant them in the ground so I guess I'll have to pot them up in 1/2 gal milk cartons or something. :?

-- OT --
When I peeked in the cardboard box, the tulip and crocus bulbs that I had potted and left in the garage to force in the house ... well, NOW :roll: ... had also sprouted about 4 inches and shoved aside their aluminum pan covers that I'd put over them to hopefully ward off mice. :lol: I put them under the seed starting lights (still in the cold garage) for now until I can make some room.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've NO idea what I'm going to do with them. I really can plant them in the ground so I guess I'll have to pot them up in 1/2 gal milk cartons or something
Hmm, There's this guy on an Island...... :wink:

Eric

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I don't know if they'd make it all the way across country.... :?
Besides, I know you'll be starting them yourself next year 8)

A followup to that last OT: The tulips are in bloom! :D

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8423.jpg[/img]

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I am loathe to recommend this, but am putting it out there as food for thought.

Many years ago, a countercultural author in a completely unrelated area recommended finding fruit or nut trees or herbs being discarded by nurseries and then planting them on vacant lots, edges of parks, etc. If even 10% of them survived, he felt it was worth the minimal effort. If all the fruit goes to wildlife or passersby, it would still be a good thing.

Of course there are all kinds of considerations one must make. Are you vandalizing, enhancing, creating an attractive nuisance, stealing resources, etc.? Even among foraging people the concept of land ownership is very strong, and you always hear cautions against any form of trespass.

That being said,I've done it often enough that I wouldn't guess how often. Some of it was sanctioned by the state.

applestar
Mod

8) :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hmm... I don't know if they'd make it all the way across country....
They would be fine. Send them bar root when dormant. Plants are shipped all over the world, with their roots in damp paper, sealed in a bag.

Eric

Return to “All Other Fruit”