Jason_D
Newly Registered

Top hat blueberry

I have two top hat blueberry plants and another dwarf variety. All 3 are in pots. This fall one of the bushes leaves turned red and eventually fell off, but the two top hat bushes never changed. About half of the leaves fell off, but they didnt turn red. it is too cold for the plants to stay outside at this point. (its 18F right now) I want to put it in the garage with the other bush for the winter, but it isnt changing color. what should I do with the plants?

Thank you for your help

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would suggest that you bring them in to your garage.
Top hat are a dwarf variety and can be damaged by hard frost as the roots will have little protection.

Jason_D
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply

will they be damaged by not getting any light? even with the cold weather the buds appear to be swelling. some are even starting to open. it hasnt been warm enough for the plants to think its spring in weeks. this is my first winter with plants that are supposed to go dormant so I don't have any experience with it.

thank you

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would suggest that if you can , you move them into the light on days where the temp rises. Just wrap some form of protection around the pot so that the roots themselves are not allowed to freeze up.
The plant itself will tolerate a few degrees of frost where its roots will not.

Return to “All Other Fruit”