applestar
Mod

Edible Indoor Fig & Any others besides the common variet

OK. I want to grow fig.
My zone 6b location is iffy for figs outside.
I don't want to go to extraordinary lengths to protect it in the fall -- I'm busy enough at the end of season as it is. I want to bring it inside during the winter but I can't handle anything that gets really big.

A good common fig variety candidate so far is:
[quote]Ficus carica ‘Petite Negra’
‘Petite Negra’ is an amazing fruiting fig that produces medium sized plump black juicy figs at a young age. This impressive fig is perfect for the indoor or patio gardener since it starts fruiting when plants are less than 12â€

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Star,
I don't know how cold you get in the winter in your part of the world. Over here we have found the variety 'Brown Turkey ' will stand nearly everything we can sling at it. Especially if it is planted with the protection of a wall.
Interesting though the idea of growing dwarf types to allow them to be transported indoors in the winter....reckon that might allow for a real double cropping to happen.
We only ever get the autumn crop and lose the spring one to the winter weather.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Being in zone 4, I've never even toyed with the idea of growing figs. However, as you're searching, keep in mind that many/most figs are pollinated by rather specialized fig wasps, which might not be present in an area outside of figs usual zones. I believe that there are self-pollinating varieties, which might be the ones to consider.

Return to “All Other Fruit”