petebillie1995
Newly Registered

no figs

I have a 3 year old Celeste fig tree. Last summer it had reached a height of about 8 feet and had lush leaves covering it. It looked very healthy, but it has never produced a single fig. Why are there no figs, and what can I do to insure figs in the upcoming season?

applestar
Mod

Where do you live/what's the coldest it gets in the winter? Do you prune it? What do you do to fertilize the tree?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would add to Stars queries as to how good is your soil and are the roots restricted in any way.
Figs in good soil with no restriction on their root growth will just rocket away without any intention of fruiting.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

JONA878 wrote:Figs in good soil with no restriction on their root growth will just rocket away without any intention of fruiting.

Now that could explain why my fig tree is such a good producer. My soil is fairly dense clay and it was a lot of hard work for me to make my garden what it is today. It has only improved with my constantly adding composted material and other organic matter to it over the years.

Each year in June/July I have a bumper crop of figs and have a fight on my hands having to beat the birds in the morning before they pick holes in all the ripe figs. Then, there's the occasional late night raccoon raid that can clean out a tree in minutes.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”