katylaide
Cool Member

Sugar to encourage cuttings to strike?

I garden organically and about 6 weeks ago or so aquired some mulberry tree cuttings through www.freecycle.org. I stood them in willow water to encourage them to strike and right now they all have some leaves and started getting flowers.

I received an email from the lady from whom I got the cuttings and she suggested I water them regularly with one tablespoon of sugar to 5 litres of water to encourage them to strike. Has anyone tried this or something similar? Have you had success with it? Thanks

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Katylaide
Sugar water does help plants in many ways.
Cut flowers will last longer and growing plants benifit as well.
You must be carefull to not over do the amount of sugar as that can be counter productive and do harm.
Sugar water helps the roots to repel high salt levels as well so keeping the plants uptake of moisture .

bangstrom

I have only tried rooting cuttings in sugar water two or three times but I have not found it to be helpful. As someone noted earlier, it must be a highly dilute solution of sugar or you will have problems. Some say honey works better because it contains a natural fungicide. Pure sugar has little nutrient value for microbes other than as a carbohydrate source so it does not ferment easily but this is not the case if you mix sugar with any form of nutrients so I would not combine sugar with either willow water or fertilizer. Willow water is good by itself.

Return to “All Other Fruit”