Sunflower7

what to use to protect young fig trees and how?

:D I want to protect year old fig trees in severe winter this year.
What do I need and how to cover my fig trees from heavy snow and ice?
I went gardening store and checked tar paper but they sell very large roll and I don't need that much tar paper.
I already have burlap to cover.
What else do I need?
Please let me know.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

standard procedure for holding off dieback from freezing around here is to put stakes around the tree/shrub, at least a foot out from any branches, burlap or something sheet-y around those, and then the entire container thus made gets filled with fallen leaves, up past any branches (a good 8 inches to a foot on all sides should be adequate)...you get occasional tip dieback, but from what I've seen, it works pretty well...down to 15F or so, around here. maybe you could add extra insulation space (and fill it) to withstand lower temps.

microcollie
Green Thumb

I had no idea that there were figs which would be hardy in PA...What is your USDA zone? I would assume that it would have to be brought indoors to be overwintered. What type of fig?

applestar
Mod

I REALLY want to grow figs. Only problem has been that the methods I have read about for protecting fig trees in my area and some northern NJ areas are to root-prune and partially dig up the tree on one side and tip it on its side on the ground, surround with boards, then cover with mulch and burlap, etc. Or severely prune and winter-wrap the entire trunk. OR grow in large containers and bring inside AFTER it's dormant OR bring inside to a brightly lit sunporch/greenhouse.

I couldn't see myself trundling the large sized container I envision in order to have worthwhile harvest, or digging up and burying the tree or wrapping up a tree taller than myself.

Then, I came across this: https://www.hawaiifruit.net/Figs-Japan.htm

Now THIS might be do-able. With the main trunk low to the ground -- 40cm=approx. 16"... +8cm = a little over 1-1/2' Everything would be low to the ground. I could make a hoop-looking structure similar to shown in the photos with pvc or electrical conduit piles and use it like a low tunnel stuffed with leaves or other mulching material. If standing trees could survive the winter wrapped, it should be possible to protect the trees sufficiently this way.

(I might even convert my New Sauce Tomato bed to this purpose -- already fenced in long narrow bed with sturdy corner posts that can be used to build the trellising system for each season's growth... This season's tomatoes as well as the haybed mulch should have loosened up the clay soil underneath nicely. Hmm... drainage might be an issue there though.... :idea:) )

I believe for this to work, the fig variety needs to be ones that fruit on new growth. I'm off to research appropriate varieties, though off-hand, I think Chicago Hardy and Brown Turkey are the two northern-most adapted fig varieties. 8)

Return to “All Other Fruit”