inoo

Strawberries

Hello everyone ive being raising up some strawberries for some time now but I don't know much about them such as: my strawberries are becoming littler so on.

If you could reply any information on strawberries that would be great and when I get replies I will add different fruits to the subject.

Such as Watermelons,raspberries,mangoes,rockmelons, etc

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

inoo,

Welcome to Helpful Gardener.

How old are your plants? What variety? Can you tell use a little about the growing conditions?

Eric

applestar
Mod

Waiting for your reply to see what I can contribute. :D

MOD HAT ON :arrow: DON'T add different fruits to this thread. If I remember correctly, you already have threads posted for watermelon, raspberry, mango, and apple. You'll get better responses when topic of a thread is clearly defined. The object is not to get lots of responses but good helpful ones. :wink:

inoo

I don't exactly know how old they were because they were already growing when I bought them they had just flowered is been 6 weeks from then ive had strawberries from the same plant before they were big strawberries I don't know exactly whats wrong they're just a lot littler now.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

inoo,

Are you growing these strawberries in containers? I'm just guessing here, maybe the plants are old, or the soil is exhuasted. It maybe time to start over with fresh plants and or soil.

Eric

inoo

No I am not growing the strawberries in containers but I am growing them in pots that have these little holders around them (very little to fit strawberries in the side of it) could this be the problem.

applestar
Mod

It's spring for you now right? Do you know what variety they are? Strawberries can be divided into essentially three types - What we call "June bearers" that produces lots of strawberries all at once in late spring/early summer for period of about 2~3 weeks, "Day Neutrals" that produce a flush of smaller number of berries around the same time as June bearers, then some more much smaller numbers every month, and "Everberers" which though I've never had them myself I understand to basically grow two large crops in spring and in fall.

If yours has been fruiting for nearly 6 weeks, I would think it's normal for the berry size to start diminishing.

You don't mean the plants themselves are getting smaller, do you? I believe what you are talking about is a Strawberry Jar (It is a kind of a container -- as opposed to being grown directly in the ground :wink:). Sometimes, those jars are not big enough. Sometimes the issue is water/moisture distribution in the soil and they dry out easily. The usual recommendation is to bury a perforated PVC or wire tube filled with pea gravel as a central column and pour water into the tube to water. ...but you have to do this at planting time.

Any time you're growing in a container of any kind, available soil nutrients are washed away as well as used up, so you need to fertilize once a month, or else every two weeks with diluted fertilizer. AACT -- Actively Aerated Compost Tea is one example and is described in a long sticky thread at the top of the Compost Forum. :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”