inoo

Watermelons

Hello viewers I have some watermelons growing which don't have much space
I was wondering if you could answer the question How much space does one watermelon plant need? and How many watermelons will one plant grow at a time -helpsos- O:)
Last edited by inoo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

NSW is New South Wales, Australia, right? Where you are in spring now?

Watermelon are a warm weather crop that don't get planted in the ground until the ground is thoroughly warmed up.

Commercial growers tend to pinch out the baby melons to restrict each vine to 1 or 2 melons per plant, to get larger fruit. For home growers if you are taking good care of it (plenty of water and nutrients), a vine could produce 3 or 4 melons.

They are ordinarily planted in hills 6 to 12 feet apart. Plant 4 seeds per hill. If they all sprout, wait a couple weeks and then thin to the 2 healthiest plants.

The vines will get huge, 20 ' long and wide or more.

If you don't have this much room, there are baby watermelon varieties that produce smaller fruit on smaller vines.

Not the most productive thing to grow in your garden thinking about nutrient value (very low) for the space used (very high).

inoo

Thank you very helpful info where can you find these smaller watermelon plants any sugestions

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

inoo wrote:Thank you very helpful info where can you find these smaller watermelon plants any sugestions
I have no idea where you buy seeds or plants in Australia. Ask around.

Sugar Baby is one of the commonest baby watermelons here:

https://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=04105

inoo

Ah yes sugar babies we have I actually saw those couple of days a go Thank you for info but before I go do you know how big a sugar baby vine is?

Return to “All Other Fruit”