inoo

Bowen mangoes growing

Hi I have recently bought a bowan mango tree and I want to know the following
How much water do they need in summer?How big does the gardening pot have to be? and how long will it take to see a mango just after its flowered[/b]

applestar
Mod

I didn't know the variety of mango called Bowen so I looked it up. It seems to be a commonly sold variety in Australia, and it is described as one of few varieties that grow true from seed. One of the reasons I looked it up though is to see if it's a dwarf variety suited to pot culture -- I've only seen one of those. Bowen does NOT appear to be one -- look at the mature size description here:
https://heartgarden.com.au/description.asp?id=228

I have a 2year old mango plant I'm growing from seed for fun. It's NOT one that I expect to bear fruits since only one shoot grew from the seed and they say that multiple shoots/beans must be found inside the seed casing for it to be polymorphic and capable of self pollination. It gets too cold around here in winter so I have to bring the little tree in. But it grew well this summer outside and is now a little over 3feet tall. :D. It's a beautiful plant, with newly unfurling leaves remaining mahogany red until mature. I'm going to keep root pruning it and keeping the top growth trimmed so it will remain compact enough. :wink:

How big is your plant currently? Did you mean that it flowered already?

inoo

Thank you for info very useful and you replied! lol anyway do you know any good fruit plants to grow?

Troppofoodgardener

hey inoo..

which part of NSW are u from? I'm guessing it's temperate where you are, so there would be a good variety of fruits you can try. Gardening Australia has a pretty good website and has a section where it recommends what plants for what zones within Aus.

I'm in the northern tropics, so I mainly grow the stuff you'd expect in hotter climates. But no mango tree for me! My yard is way too small. From what I see of the Bowen mangoes up here they grow to a pretty decent size!

Apparently avocado and macadamia are pretty easy to grow in a variety of climates. I'd recommend mulberry too.. except don't plant them next to a shared fence or high foot-traffic area. Neighbours may complain about berry stains on pavements, pathways etc!

At the moment though, I'm growing banana, passionfruit, guava, mangosteen, mulberry and lime, to give you an idea of what you can grow up here. How about a lemon tree - an Aussie favourite. Or cumquats could be another citrus to try. They can be substituted for limes in beer apparently.

A good idea is to look around your neighbourhood and see what sort of plants and trees your neighbours are growing. If there are heaps of apple orchards and vineyards in your area, you can probably grow those.

inoo

Thank you for information vey helpful I live in Sydney do you have any suggestions for there I know thats not a great spot for mangoes but I love them.

inoo

Thank you for information vey helpful I live in Sydney do you have any suggestions for there I know thats not a great spot for mangoes but I love them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”