kitty-lover

Pruning Blackberries

Can anyone tell me how to trim Blackberries and what time of year to do this?
Sue,Illinois

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would wait until after you have plucked all the fruit that you want and then it is basially a case of going nuts until you have a desired shape or structure. I have used a brush saw (very dangerous so, not reccommended for everyone) and also just pruners with gloves to do the job.

I am also constantly pruning back blackberry vines from taking over my garden throughout the year.

kitty-lover

This was a quote in an article of our local newspaper. I am trying to get in touch with this lady to find out more details. Thanks for your input and I will let you know if I find out more.
APPRECIATE your help!!!
Sue

"Some people think with blackberries, you just pick them. But blackberries are a lot of work," Adams said. "You fertilize, cane, trim, prune, weed. Only lateral stems produce berries, and after they produce blackberries, they never produce again. So you cut the cane to the ground and the next year new lateral canes produce berries."

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem. Good luck with your blackberries. Thanks for the information.

kitty-lover

I talked to this lady about how she prunes hers.
In the fall she cuts them back to 3 ft.
She also cuts down (all the way to ground )the dead canes or canes that bore fruit this year. Then she cleans out all the old debris from under the plants and fertilizes in the fall with old manure and beds them with straw. I was glad she clarified the stems she cuts all the way to ground. In the spring just let them grow and tie up on wires (like a washline) as they grow. Doing this I hope to have alot more berries next year.
Hope your not bored. Just thought you might like this info.
Happy Gardening! :lol:
Sue

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

All information is good information Kitty! Keep posting, we welcome all gardening information.

Return to “All Other Fruit”