applestar
Mod

Grafting Fruit trees -primarily apples and citrus- Some Q's

One of my NEW PROJECT! Is to learn to graft. I was watching some YouTube grafting videos and had a few thoughts that led to questions....

I have several seedling apples. I 've no idea what the seeds came from. they are the ones that grew and survived so far. :wink: :roll:

I had been thinking of them as possible rootstocks to practice grafting on, but then it occurred to me that they are not likely to have the desirable rootstock characteristics. So, where to get the rootstock material... ( cheaply, that is... 8) ) Then I started to wonder about the waterspouts that grow from the rootstock at the base of the apple tree all the time.... Could they be treated like cuttings? Would they root? :?:

I also have a number of unknown citrus seedlings. I bought a dwarf Meyeri lemon. Same situation here right? I'm waiting on my Flying Dragon to mature and produce fruits to grow seedlings from, which I expect will make ideal root stock (hopefully). :wink:

Oh! I also have a few callery pear seedlings. I'm bit vague on this now -- I've forgotten WHY I'm saving them. :roll: I *think* I was viewing them as possible root stock for Asian pears, but my Magness pear is supposed to be capable of being pollinated by callery pear. does that mean I could graft a Magness scion to a callery pear root stock? :?:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Star.

Your watershoots that are growing from your rootstocks are the perfect material for growing your own rootstocks.
That is the way nurseries would propogate their own stocks.
They will root up just like any other hard-wood cutting.
You would have to accept that if the stocks you are useing are old then you could well have a few virus problems there so allow for some reduction in the growth of the progeny.

I don't know about the Citrus I'm afraid. No experiance over here with these trees other than a little glasshouse work.

As regards the pears.
Callery seedlings would make good rootstocks.
It is one of the recognised uses for them.
Very good on nashi.

Callery themselves are a very invasive variety and are something of a pest in many areas as I understand.

applestar
Mod

Thanks Jona :D
Something else to look forward to :wink:
There's never any lack of work around the garden/orchard is there? Especially if one is intent on inventing new ones for oneself.... :roll: :lol:

lorax
Greener Thumb

I can speak to the citrus! (I do speak to the citrus, at least the ones in my yard. It seems to cheer them. :() )

If you've got seedlings that came from bitter oranges (not navel or sweet Sevilla) or grapefruit, they'll make good roots, but if they're from limes or lemons they'll tend to overpower the scion. If you really don't know what they are, bruise a leaf and sniff it - the scent will tell you.

Once you've done the sniff test, if you've got lemons or limes, let them grow out. Reverted stock (which is what that will be) is extremely hardy and often has interesting fruits. I've got a large reverted-stock sour-lime tree that bears more reliably and better fruits than my grafted one.

And let your Flying Dragons grow up as well - they're excellent rootstocks, particularly for things like Tangelo, Mandarin, and Mandalime.

Oh, and if you can find Kumquats and get them growing, these are also excellent rootstocks.

:()

Return to “All Other Fruit”