buckbuster

starting trees

wanting to start some pear and apple trees and my folks have some and I didnt know if I needed to do anything special to get them going under my grow lights?
brad

soil
Greener Thumb

from seed? grafting onto rootstock?

buckbuster

soil wrote:from seed? grafting onto rootstock?
not sure I'm familar with "grafting onto rootstock"????

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Buckbuster.

Soil was refering to the way you want your trees to be grown.

If you grow an apple from a seed then you can only know one of its parents....the apple you got the seed from. You don't know the other parent.
Therefor you will have an apple that is just your own..you can call it what you whant.
If you want a particular variety then you have to grow the tree from a small shoot ( a scion ) cut from a known variety tree. This makes sure that the variety grows true.
This scion is grafted onto a root stock which does two things...it controls the size of the finished tree and it helps combat certain root problems.

Now if you are going to grow from a seed then it would cerainly help in its early stages of growth to give it the usual grow- light help that your other seedling get and then slowly harden it off until it can go out for growing on.
If you do grow from seed do remember that unless you graft it later to a known root stock you can never be sure how big your tree is going to finish up.
All apples that have the words Seedling or Pippin in their name have been origanaly grown this way. The words denote that the fruit was grown from a pip.

Good luck.

applestar
Mod

Ah! I first came across the word Pip in an Agatha Christie novel -- A Pocket Full of Rye, I think. so I'd always thought it was a British nickname even though I did know from somewhere else that pip meant seed. Then there was the hobbit Pippin in The Lord of the Rings. I had never made the connection to apple varieties... do I know any off hand -- Orange Cox's Pippin? Is that a real variety or did I pull it out of my mental hat? :wink:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Ah! I first came across the word Pip in an Agatha Christie novel -- A Pocket Full of Rye, I think. so I'd always thought it was a British nickname even though I did know from somewhere else that pip meant seed. Then there was the hobbit Pippin in The Lord of the Rings. I had never made the connection to apple varieties... do I know any off hand -- Orange Cox's Pippin? Is that a real variety or did I pull it out of my mental hat? :wink:
That's it Star...
Coxs Orange Pippin
Bramley Seedling
Herrings Pippin
Sturmer Pippin
King of the Pippin
Dumelows Seedling....etc. many many more.

Return to “All Other Fruit”