Sunflower7

My Asian pear trees have curled leaves and miserable looking

I planted two Asian pear trees about 10 years ago and I had good fruits to share with my neighbor but last year these trees start having curled leaves and start looking like slowly dying.
Does anybody have good knowledge to save these Asian trees?
Name of disease is called anthracnose leaf spot caused by the fungus Colletotrichum.
I raked leaves on the ground and got rid of to stop this disease last fall but this year, these trees are getting much worse.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sunflower7 wrote:I planted two Asian pear trees about 10 years ago and I had good fruits to share with my neighbor but last year these trees start having curled leaves and start looking like slowly dying.
Does anybody have good knowledge to save these Asian trees?
Name of disease is called anthracnose leaf spot caused by the fungus Colletotrichum.
I raked leaves on the ground and got rid of to stop this disease last fall but this year, these trees are getting much worse.

Hi Sunflower
From what I can find this is not too common a desease on Asians but is widespread on vegetables especially those in tropical areas.
However the fungus Colletotrichum is the cause of Gloeosporium rot on apples.
This used to be a very significant cause of fruit loss in storage.
For many years we had a constant battle against it and on some years we lost a lot of fruit to it. I can't recall though ever having trouble with the trees themslves from its effects.
Control was by the use of Captan sprays. I believe though that this chemical is on the banned list in the States.
If so then either Thiram or Carbendazim will control.
Sorry I can't be of more help...hope that your tree pulls through.

Return to “All Other Fruit”