stellasmom
Newly Registered

Oh, please help me and my raspberries?

Hello my fellow gardeners :) ,

I have a few questions re: raspberries.

First is re: where they are planted. I have a fenced in garden area with 4 3x6 raised beds. I planted 3 raspberry plants in one of the raised beds. I'm wondering if this was a good idea? They are growing well as there is great drainage in these beds, but I'm afraid they won't have anywhere to go--root-wise---later on. If they should be planted in the ground, do they transplant well?

They also have grown very tall and I have constructed 4 poles and some wire on which to "train" them. I'm not too sure how, exactly, to do this.

And the last question is when would be the right time to prune? I know you prune the raspberry canes that just fruited, but when? Fall or spring? And how far down on the cane do you prune?

Ok. Now THIS is my last question...I swear. :D I wish I could tell you what types of raspberry plants I have. The only name I can remember is Latham. I have a lot of fruiting happening right now. Is this when this type fruits?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Stellasmom.
Latham are a Floricane variety which means they crop on cane that grew last year. They are a raspberry that crops in one big flush and not one that crops slowly through the summer.

You need to tie in the new cane that is growing this year so that it does not get damaged . Just run a couple of wires between your posts and tie the cane to it with something like twist ties. Allow a maximum of eight canes to come from each stool bed. ( Thats the mass of growing canes where your original cane was planted.)

With three plants per 3X6 run you should have a super bed in no time.

As to pruning....you can cut the old cane ( the cane that has fruited ) down to ground level as soon as it has finished fruiting. This will give the new cane plenty of time to develope ( ripen ) fruit bud for next year.

The height of the new cane is personal choice really.
If it growing very strongly it can get very tall indeed.
Whatever height you decide to have it Don't cut the tip off at that height until the leaves have all fallen and the plant has gone dormant.

If you shorten the cane back before then it can force potential fruiting buds to break into growth before full dormancy has occurred.

Good luck and enjoy.

Return to “All Other Fruit”