newtothis
Newly Registered

fruit trees

I live in the north east of england, I have bought 3 apple trees and a pear tree, it is their 1st year in the ground, 2 of the apple trees are bearing fruit, 1 quite heavily. the other apple tree is flowering but not producing fruit. and the pear tree flowered but did not produce fruit, is there anything I can do to get fruit out of these trees or is it too early in their life?

peachguy

It may be to early in their life but it also maybe that you need another pear tree to pollinate the one you already have. I know that is how most fruit trees work, unless it is a self fruitfull tree then it maybe that they are too young.

newtothis
Newly Registered

if I need to polinate it, where do I find anotjer pear tree?

peachguy

well if you are lucky a nieghbour might have a pear tree that will pollinate your tree, but I doubt that. So you would just have to go and buy another pear tree. One thing you could try is too graft anohter pear varitey onto the one that you already have and then you would have to types on one tree and both would get pollinated by each other.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Great idea Peachguy!! Yes you definitely do have to have two pears as they don't self pollinate.
The apple tree that flowered, but did not bear fruit, may have been too young, but it also may not have been fertilized either. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing, where the bees land that day.....
Often too, if your trees are blooming, and a frost hits, the fruit your trees bear will be less as the blossoms die.
I have had my trees be covered all over with blooms, and then only bear fruit on one side - the frost came in, but there was also a light breeze that kept it off one side. It looked very strange!! Sometimes we have no control, Mother Nature has her own plans! :wink:

Val

Return to “All Other Fruit”