Franco

Jalapeno ripening question

I have 4 Jalapeno plants. They all have peppers on them and range in different sizes. One plant has a very large one but it has been green for at LEAST a month. Another has 3 or 4 peppers on it and one is already very very dark and turning red (looks very cool). Another plant has a medium sized one and it looks lighter than the big one so I'm just guessing it's turning yellow. I want to know why the huge one isn't turning colors? I don't want a green pepper I like the red ones better.

Franco

Thanks for the input...

Grey
Greener Thumb

I've never grown peppers so I don't know for sure, but I'll expect that the big one just isn't ready yet.

AngryItalian

I only have one jalapeno plant and it only has one pepper on it and so far it has taken a while to grow and it's still not that big and not turning color yet, so I tHink that patience is the key here. Besided, theres several varieties of jalapenos differing in size, heat and ripening time. Here, check the 2 jalapenos on this list out:
https://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/new_page_1.htm

Katie
Newly Registered

Some Jalapeños may not turn Red, you may need a certain breed for that. However, my boyfriend and I grew Cayenne peppers in the garden last summer. When they took forever to ripen, I picked them because I am extremely impatient. I put them on a counter and forgot about them for a while because we weren't sure what we wanted to do with them.
A few days later, however, I noticed that the peppers were turning red, right on the counter. I realized that this was because they were right under my kitchen light. I looked it up and sure enough, peppers can ripen off the plant (at least, the color can change and the sugars in the pepper can develop a little more fully) if a light source is used.
Good luck if you encounter this issue again.

Return to “All Other Fruit”