pmangelos
Newly Registered

New gardener with no apples

HI all, I am new here, and new to the world of gardening and I could use some help. I live in Northern California Zone 9a. I have an apple tree espalier that I planted last year (about 18 months ago). It has six varieties of apples and seems to be growing quite well. Unfortunately, it looks like it is not going to produce any apples this year. Last year one of the varieties (yellow delicious) gave me three edible apples. I want to know if there is something that I did wrong in watering or pruning. I pruned it back during the winter, to within two leaves of each of the main branches, and have not pruned it since. I now have branches coming off of the main branches that are over two feet long, but no fruit. Did I do something wrong?
Thanks
Paul

applestar
Mod

Apples require a certain period of cold weather, called "Chill Hours" to set bud and fruit. Climate in your location may not be suited unless you bought a multiple grafted tree with all the varieties that do well in your area. There are apple varieties specifically developed for warmer parts of the country.

I'm trying to grow espalier apples too. I'd love to see photos of yours. mine are posted in the Permaculture Forum -- I think I called the thread Edible Landscaping.

pmangelos
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply, I believe that our climate should be fine as others around here grow apples and last year I did get a few apples, but perhaps our winter this past year wasn't cool enough. Anyhow, I would gladly share pictures, but I do not know how to post them.
Thanks Again

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

My apple tree, which is quite large and old, didn't bear this year, either. I'm attributing that to our cold, wet spring. I don't think enough bees were active at the time the tree was in flower.

pmangelos
Newly Registered

[img]https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/pmangelos1/034.jpg[/img]
Thanks for the link on posting pictures. Here is my tree as of yesterday.
Thanks for the help.
Paul

Return to “All Other Fruit”