robbonj
Newly Registered

Help - Leaf Roller Wiped out my Grapes

I have a few old grape vines that I'm trying to re-cultivate (the previous owners let them go wild). I was doing pretty well until we went away for a couple weeks and then got tied up with work. Next thing I know, a majority of the foliage is covered in omnivorous leaf roller. This is our 3 year on the property and never had them before. They caught us completely by surprise!

The big Question....

1. Do I cut off all the foliage and try to break the cycle?
2. Do I spray, knowing they're hard to kill in the cocoons?
3. Do I leave it and try to catch it early next year?
4. Do I cut it all back and try to start over next year?
5. All of the above!

The little Question...

The plants are atleast 10-20 years old, Concord (I think). Produce a decent amount of grapes since I've thinned them this year. But the vines are all over, some 20+ ft. of woody stem winding back and forth along the ground and then trellis. They're more for novelty than expecting a serious harvest. We like the fact that these were planted by the nice old lady that we bought the house from. I'd hate to have to start over. Does anybody know if I cut them back hard - just to normal lenth truncks, will they come back? If so, when?

Thanks for your input.

sweet thunder

I'm inexperienced with grapes (just planted my first vine this year) and I hope someone comes along with a better answer for you, but I do know they normally get pruned in winter when they're dormant.

According to Sunset, grapes produce fruit on year-old wood, so if you cut back too severely you may lose next year's crop. I don't think, however, that you would lose the vine if you cut it way back. The vineyards down south seem to cut their vines back to almost nothing every winter.

As for other ways to deal with the leafrollers, I'm stumped.

applestar
Mod

If leafrollers are moth or butterfly larvae, you might try spraying with Bt. If it were me, I wouldn't spray the entire vine but spot spray surrounding their hiding places. Most likely they emerge at night and feed.

Personally, though, I would just start by hand picking and simply exposing them by destroying their nests to give their natural predators better access and chance to do their thing.

Do you know what kind they are? Some gorgeous moth caterpillars feed on grape leaves.

Return to “All Other Fruit”