Mini Mango!

Germinating Coconut

Oh boy.. I think I killed a future coconut tree... :cry:

I looooove coconuts! Last week in grocery store I bought one. (There was still some hair on the place of the 3 holes.) Came home and discovered something white coming out of one of the holes (under the hair).
Googled for a pic of a germinating coconut and found one that looks like mine..
But I still wasn't sure if it was it...because I wondered how can it germinate without being in some water... and I thought if I plant it and nothing will happen then I just wasted a delicious coconut. My husband said "maybe it's just the attachment to the tree, the little branch."
So... I broke it today....and guess what? It was REALLY GERMINATING!!!
Bwuaaaaaaaaaaahh......... :cry: :cry: :cry:

A coconut needs aprox. 3 to 6 months to germinate!! 3 to 6 months!!!
And I got lucky buying a 'ready one'. And I killed it. -wall-
Now I feel like going back and check each and every coconut they have in store. The only problem would be is that I'd have to remove hair from each and every coconut, and the store keeper wouldn't be very friendly then.

Ah well... it wasn't meant to be I guess.
Oh, and by the way, it wasn't meant to be to eat it as well! B'coz when I tasted it it was a bit sour.. :(

I just wanted to share my sadness with you guys.. I know you'd understand how I feel.. :(

MM

applestar
Mod

Sorry you missed this opportunity, but you're so lucky to have even a chance to grow one! I saw a sprouting coconut in a gardening book once. It was planted in a decorative planter with a shoot that was just unfurling. The coconut itself was, I think 1/3 buried (similar to the way avocado seed is planted, except that with the coconut, it was sprouting from one side.)

Good luck with the next one! :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”