planter

White Versus Black Mulberrys??

Is it possible to tell if the plants I got last year off flea bay are White Mulberrys which are considered invasive in some areas and the black mulberry.
I just can't remember what they were advertised as but I'm bettin they are the white. They have taken off in the nursery but I don't want to plant invasives!! I spend so much time pulling out Barberries and Burning bush I don't want to add anything. :)

TY. Folks!!! :D
Got anything good that's Z6 hardy?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Yup! Photos will help greatly, but generally White Mulberry have complex palmate leaves with smooth edges (although not always - they're famously variable), while Black Mulberry are cordate with definite serration on the edges. The fruit will also tell you, but if the trees are young it will be a while before you get the confirmation.

planter

Ok Lorax as you wish. :D And thanks!!

[img]https://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp102/planter_01/P1060309.jpg[/img][/img]

[img]https://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp102/planter_01/P1060310.jpg[/img]

Thes are the three little mulberrys I have and from you desciption they well may be black. I have looked at the white in the past and they actually look like the leaves have a bit of lobe action going on!! You I compost them as being invasive (Not listed on our list of problem plants) or should I give one a permanent home. :D

The birds sure seem to like the trees for a week or two when they are fruiting. I have never seen a busier tree than a mulberry except maybe a sweet cherry I gave up on and just let them eat :x it up..
Got anything good that's Z6 hardy?

lorax
Greener Thumb

They look like Black Mulberry to me, too. I'd give one a home and compost the others, and see how it works out. That way, if it looks like it's going to go invasive on you by next year you'll only have one plant to deal with, which is immensely easier.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”