roosky

Raspberry question

I planted Glen Prosen raspberry canes last summer,(said to be mid-season, but I think they must be summer fruiting) which are now flourishing and beginning to bear fruit this year. A friend told me I shouldn't let them fruit this year, in order to get a good crop next year . Is this so, or is he confusing it with not letting them fruit in the very first year ?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

roosky wrote:I planted Glen Prosen raspberry canes last summer,(said to be mid-season, but I think they must be summer fruiting) which are now flourishing and beginning to bear fruit this year. A friend told me I shouldn't let them fruit this year, in order to get a good crop next year . Is this so, or is he confusing it with not letting them fruit in the very first year ?
Hi Roosky

Your Glen Prosen are a mid season fruiter. That means late July down here in the south and maybe just a tad later for you up there.
They are a summer fruiting variety and crop on the cane that grew last year.
So once they have fruited you need to cut out that old fruited cane and leave behind the canes that are growing this year,,, they will give you next years crop.
You can indeed let them crop this year providing they are growing fresh new cane ok.
Down here in the south we are having a very dry period that would call for plenty of water on them...if you have had a dry spell don't forget to give them a good watering to help the fruit and encourage the new cane.

roosky

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I'm delighted I can continue to let the fruit ripen - I'm very much looking forward to the first plateful, if I can manage to get them as far as the kitchen before eating !

Return to “All Other Fruit”