planter

Persimmons.. Asian or American??

Who amongst you knows Persimmon?? I have a Chocolate which is thriving and was loaded with flowers and "WAS" supposed to be self fertile but is not. Hard to believe the guy at the nursery mislead me. :wink:

I do have a couple of healthy Asian Persimmon seedling that I got off Fleabay and they are actually doing well. Will ANY asian persimmon pollinate another or do I need to be more specific?

Question :?: ..Asian persimmons are non astringent and american are astringent but how do the americans eat once a frost or cold spell has hit? Are there differest varieties of american or just the native?

I think it was apple who suggested persimmons don't mind wet feet. Can anyone back that up before I pursue?? What about sun?? Full day, half day, dappled?? Whats the word?

Thanks my gardening budski's :D

nullzero
Newly Registered

Chocolate, I believe requires a pollinator (to have edible non astringent fruit). Persimmons are a very different fruit compared to other fruits. I am still trying to wrap my head around it all. For persimmon beginners, I would recommend one of the (PCNA) types like Giant Fuyu.

bangstrom

American persimmons lose their astringency after a good frost. The fruit continues to hang on the tree where it slowly dries and the fruits resemble dates. I have heard of an Asian x American persimmon that is cold hardy but has fruit like the asian.

soil
Greener Thumb

but how do the americans eat once a frost or cold spell has hit? Are there differest varieties of american or just the native?
you don't have to wait until a good frost, but usually have to wait until november or later for them to finish, most places usually have frost by then.

there are a few kinds of american persimmon, I have seen small ones and the 4 inchers we have here. they are absolutely delicious when ready, almost like natural jelly. no pectin needed.

planter

OK!! A couple persimmon fanciers. Thanks for the responses!!

Does anyone know what pollinator the Choclolate requires? IE: will a Giant Fuyu or a Hachiya do the trick :?: Part of the quetion also involves TWO seedling Asian persimmons off of Fleabay. They are doing pretty good but will they Pollinate.

I also want to locate a source of different varieties of the native american persimmon or even a cross with the asian.

I seem to be able to find a lot of persimmons at nurseries in warmer climes but I "usually" try to match my Zone (6) as closely as possible so a northern source would be great!! I have ordered plants from "one Green World" who usually do a prettygood job but they are a tad warmer.. :roll:

I have eaten Asian fruit and I think they are very tastey so I would like to incorporate them into my property for the squirrels. :wink:

I am surprized that there are not more people familiar with them.

Thanks for the imput folks and as usual a question leads to more questions.

planter

A trip to the Arnold Arboretum left me unable to find the Asian Persimmon or the Paw Paw even using their locating system. I knew they were in the NE corner of Quad 54 but that was 250 acres away and my companion had had enough. :)

I did find an American Persimmon tree that I could not put my arms around. It had to have a three foot diameter trunk at chest level and was a solid ninety feet tall. A beast she was and not gonna fit in my woods. The fruit was very small although it is early but I'm still hoping to find a shorter/dwarf variety or go Asian or just find a good mate for my Chocolate Kaki. :shock:

I also hunted down a Stewartia Monadelpha!! Mountain or Orange Bark Stewartia are one beautiful tree. I just have to wait 15 years to see my little 1/2 inch caliper tree grow up!! :cry: :roll:

Nothing like a trip to an OLD arboretum to put this tree growing in perspective. I think I'm going back to shrubs.. :?

Funny thing was that the guide type guy said they are primarily a 6b but go from a 5a to a 7a all on 250 acres.. talk about micro climates..

applestar
Mod

I planted a Prok persimmon last year. It flowered this spring, both male and female flowers, and it looked like fruits might result, but they all aborted. :(

I'm doing something either daring or dumb. I put it in my Espalier Fence Row along with an Arkansas Black and Pristine apples and Magness and Seckel pears. Both apples have fruited for the 2nd year, Pristine was particularly productive. Arkansas Black had 4 fruits but is down to 2, but extremely large fruits (almost softball size).

There is a community pond in my development where there is a wild American persimmon growing along the exercise path around the pond. I'm hoping to get a seedling or some seeds at the very least. A few years ago, I was there at the right time after good frost when there were fruits still hanging on the tree accessible from the path, and I decided to try eating it even though the contam level of the surrounding area was questionable. The fruit was small -- about 1.5" across -- and delicious.

planter

applestar..At the last homestead I had a "Meader's" Persimmon developed at UNH and not only was it hardy it was claimed to be self-fetile. It set a lot of fruit but only held on to a couple but they were very tastey after the bright yellow leaves droped and fall frosts crept into my yard.
I do NOT have any idea of the lineage of the Meaders. :?: but it was a well behaved very good looking small tree. Maybe a should try a Meader's again with another small variety as a pollinator. Maybe a "prok" but I had better find out what that is first.. :lol:

WHO knew that there are Persimmons (American) out there the are as big as an oak. I can see why the critters are into them. Not only far tastier than a White Oak acorn (yes I've tries one) the tree I saw must have had literally TONS of fruit on it and the ground below it was thick with seedlings. ANYWHERE other than an arboretum and a couple would have come home with me to live in the nursery..

PS.. Maybe you can sneak a baby out of the soil by the pond and save a little time in getting it established..They probably just mow them anyway. :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you put a persimmon in boiling water it will get as hard as wood then it has zero flavor. It becomes totally worthless, you can not do anything with it after it gets hard.

There are 2 very large 50 ft tall persimmon trees 3 miles from my house. After frost I go there every morning and pick up persimmons. I place them all in the freezor until I get 5 gallons of persimmons. Thaw and mix by hand into room temperature water. Sift out skins. These are the only persimmons I have ever seen that have no seeds. Persimmons in Illinios where I use to live were all seeds. They make the excellent jelly and wine.

Return to “All Other Fruit”