barbsavalick
Newly Registered

raspberry problem

I have a raspberry bush I planted last year that bloomed and set berries this summer, then the berries dried up. The bush/vine looks healthy except for some leaves have been eaten by insects. I found a beetle - metallic dark red on the bush. Could the problem be insects, or could it be fungus. Several years ago I had a peach tree in the approximate location that died of a fungus. When should I prune the canes where the dried up berries are? :( :?:

crobi13

My first guess is the insects caused the damage. I have 2 bushes. 1 has been half eaten by insects & 1 was not. The damaged bush has not produced any ripe fruit while the other bush has given me several hand-fulls.
The time to trim them back is early fall.

barbsavalick
Newly Registered

Thank you for your response. I shall wait until fall to prune the canes with the dead berries.

Should I spray for the insects, and if so with what?

crobi13

You are very welcome :D
I did treat for the insects & my plants started looking better very quickly. The worst damaged plant has since given me 3 ripe berries. I used "Neem" I just followed the package directions. I'm going to give them another treatment this weekend just in case.

Return to “All Other Fruit”