barbsavalick
Newly Registered

raspberry problem

I have a raspberry bush I planted last year that bloomed and set berries this summer, then the berries dried up. The bush/vine looks healthy except for some leaves have been eaten by insects. I found a beetle - metallic dark red on the bush. Could the problem be insects, or could it be fungus. Several years ago I had a peach tree in the approximate location that died of a fungus. When should I prune the canes where the dried up berries are? :( :?:
I have a small raised vegetable & herb bed and also some berry bushes/vines. I am new to gardening.

crobi13

My first guess is the insects caused the damage. I have 2 bushes. 1 has been half eaten by insects & 1 was not. The damaged bush has not produced any ripe fruit while the other bush has given me several hand-fulls.
The time to trim them back is early fall.
Charlette
Wife, Mother, Gardner, Cook, Quilter, Banker and Tupperware Lady

barbsavalick
Newly Registered

Raspberry bushes

Thank you for your response. I shall wait until fall to prune the canes with the dead berries.

Should I spray for the insects, and if so with what?
I have a small raised vegetable & herb bed and also some berry bushes/vines. I am new to gardening.

crobi13

You are very welcome :D
I did treat for the insects & my plants started looking better very quickly. The worst damaged plant has since given me 3 ripe berries. I used "Neem" I just followed the package directions. I'm going to give them another treatment this weekend just in case.
Charlette
Wife, Mother, Gardner, Cook, Quilter, Banker and Tupperware Lady

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”