Liska

Strawberries: when to pick?

Hi! :D I have my first strawberry of the year that just finished turning completely red this morning. Is it OK to pick it off the bush when I get home tonight, or should I leave it for a day or so before picking?

I tried to google search a bit and got anything from its OK to take them off as soon as they're red, to give them a few days on the bush before removing.

Also, when it comes to newly growing strawberries, should I put something underneath them as they grow so they don't sit on the dirt, or is dirt on strawberries okay?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Liska wrote:Hi! :D I have my first strawberry of the year that just finished turning completely red this morning. Is it OK to pick it off the bush when I get home tonight, or should I leave it for a day or so before picking?

I tried to google search a bit and got anything from its OK to take them off as soon as they're red, to give them a few days on the bush before removing.

Also, when it comes to newly growing strawberries, should I put something underneath them as they grow so they don't sit on the dirt, or is dirt on strawberries okay?
Hi Liska,
Once the berries are red all over and starting to feel slightly soft...thats the time to pick and enjoy.
It's best if you can protect the berries from ground contact as this is the quickest way of getting fungal infection in the fruit.
The usual way is by shaking straw under the plant.....hence the fruits name....which keeps the fruit clean and clear of the soil.
It also helps to deter slugs...

Liska

JONA878 wrote:
Liska wrote:Hi! :D I have my first strawberry of the year that just finished turning completely red this morning. Is it OK to pick it off the bush when I get home tonight, or should I leave it for a day or so before picking?

Hi Liska,
Once the berries are red all over and starting to feel slightly soft...thats the time to pick and enjoy.
It's best if you can protect the berries from ground contact as this is the quickest way of getting fungal infection in the fruit.
The usual way is by shaking straw under the plant.....hence the fruits name....which keeps the fruit clean and clear of the soil.
It also helps to deter slugs...
Ah! I never knew that. Thank you! :D =^.^=

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Straw doesn't deter slugs for me, unfortunately. The best way to tell if a strawberry is ripe is if a slug has already started eating it ;)

Seriously though, the fruit will be a true red, not a scarlet (slightly oranger) red. Do a taste test to be sure, then remember what color it was. Pick all fruit when it reaches that color.

Liska

I went out to pick it and eat it this morning, and it had already gone bad and rotted kinda from the heat :(

applestar
Mod

Oh dear! :( I'm sorry you were disappointed. Good news is if this was the firstone, there will be many more to come! :D

Indicators of ripeness I use: color changing from orange red to fire engine red to INTENSE red, surface becomes glossy, seeds change from green to red, sepals change from green to red ( not always and not all varieties). Be sure to turn over and check bottom side because what looks red isn't sometimes and need another day. Pick at peak. Once starts to soften, will not last the day let alone few hours -- I recommend immediate quick rinse and toss into your own mouth for safe keeping :wink:

I hull and freeze any that's starting to soften and will not be eaten right away. When I have enough of those, I use them in cereal, on ice cream, pancakes, muffins, sauce, or pies, depending on quantity. I also freeze unripe ones that were rejected on serving - they go in baking, etc. too though not for ice cream and cereal.

Liska

applestar wrote:Oh dear! :( I'm sorry you were disappointed. Good news is if this was the firstone, there will be many more to come! :D

Indicators of ripeness I use: color changing from orange red to fire engine red to INTENSE red, surface becomes glossy, seeds change from green to red, sepals change from green to red ( not always and not all varieties). Be sure to turn over and check bottom side because what looks red isn't sometimes and need another day. Pick at peak. Once starts to soften, will not last the day let alone few hours -- I recommend immediate quick rinse and toss into your own mouth for safe keeping :wink:

I hull and freeze any that's starting to soften and will not be eaten right away. When I have enough of those, I use them in cereal, on ice cream, pancakes, muffins, sauce, or pies, depending on quantity. I also freeze unripe ones that were rejected on serving - they go in baking, etc. too though not for ice cream and cereal.
I know, but it's still heartbreaking. I waited too long, should have picked it before! I have another one ripening, so I'll snatch that one up right quick before it gets rotted out too!

Thanks for the extra hints on when to pick them. I'll be keeping a birds eye view out on them so I don't have to worry about them going bad before it can go in my mouth! :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”