LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Sale at lowes

I bought some berry vines and blueberry bush root balls at lowes on clearance. I got 8 root balls for only 4 dollars. They looked like they were dormant. I couldn't see any growth. I still haven't planted them :roll:

My question is, should I plant them now? I think it may be too late...

Do they go dormant? If so, how should I keep them till next spring?

2 of those root balls were strawberries.

Any info would be nice, thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My blueberry bushes go dormant in the fall, not at the beginning of summer. Are your plants balled and burlapped? In containers? Do they have any leaves at all? Are the branches dead, I.e. are they green inside and somewhat bendable when you try to break one, or are they dry and brittle? Dry and brittle = dead, I think, especially this time of year. :(

I've only ever bought bare-root strawberries, to be planted in the spring. I can't advise about those.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Yes, balled and burlapped. There were no leaves when I bought them. They have not had access to water. Been 2 months... I haven't tried to bend the rasp canes. The blueberries did not have stems. Neither did the strawberries. I guess I could try to soak them for a few hours and then plant them. I don't know if they will grow or not. I was skeptical when I bought them, just couldn't pass em up for like 90% off.

crobi13

I would plant them. I bought 2 raspberry canes last year at the end of the season, planted them right away & now they are doing great! The berries are starting to ripen & the plants look full & healthy.
Rasperries & blueberries need time to establish a good root system. Planting them now will allow them to do that so you can get fruit next season.
Good luck, you got a great deal!

Return to “All Other Fruit”