FruitAddict
Cool Member

Can you grow Saskatoon Berry Tree/Shrub In Wisconsin

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have tried growing a Saskatoon Berry Tree/Shrub in Wisconsin near the Oshkosh area? How did it go? Are they evasive? Easy to Grow? How does the fruit actually taste?

From what I've read on the internet so far it sounds like they are like blueberries but more like a tree than a bush and it's got me interested in trying it but I'm limited on space and don't want to waste the room if it's not worth it.

If anyone has some seedlings to swap I have some yellow rasberries I can trade. Email me for specifics.

applestar
Mod

You're talking about Amelanchier spp. right? They should do OK -- they're winter-hardy enough. I have two varieties -- the tree type species Amelanchier (A. canadensis, I think) and shrub type Amelanchier alnifolia 'Regent'. This is their third year after planting, and second year to fruit.

I've had the 'Regent' fruits and they are indeed like blueberries but slightly firmer and with thicker skin -- less fragile on the tongue. I haven't had the opportunity to try eating A. canadensis fruit because between the robins stealing the barely turned red ones and their coming down with Cedar-Apple Rust, I didn't have the chance to sample a single fruit this year,.

Especially in the early years with limited production, they are sure to need protection from birds and other wildlife if you expect to get any fruits for yourself. I didn't cage the 'Regent' this year, so I don't think I'll get any of those either. :roll:

Return to “All Other Fruit”