kitty-lover

Red Raspberries need HELP

I have a 15ft. row(4ft. wide) of Heritage Red Raspberries. I have not been happy with they're production. They are 4 years old and planted in full sun. I prune out all the dead wood in the spring. I thinned the plants out last fall to 6" apart. I watered heavly this growing and blooming season. All to my dissapointment of maybe 2 qrt. all together of fresh berries. What am I doing wrong. Am I suppose to be mowing them off in the fall?
PLease HELP! Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!

S. Zimmerman
Illinois

Newt
Greener Thumb

This site has great info on growing raspberries and when and how to prune.
https://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/index.jsp?giveNotFoundMessage=1&what=subjectAreasD&subjectAreasId=26

Note this info:
Pruning and Training

Canes of raspberries are biennial in nature; the crowns are perennial. New shoots (primocanes) grow from buds at the crown each year. Late in the summer, the new canes develop lateral branches with fruit buds on them. In the second growing season these canes are called floricanes. Early in the second season, fruit-bearing shoots grow from these canes. After fruiting, the old canes die and should be removed as soon as fruiting has been completed. New shoots (primocanes) arise and emerge from the crowns.

Red or Yellow Raspberries (Summer Fruiting)

Pruning During the Growing Season

Do not pinch back (reduce the height) the current season’s growth. If the canes are too tall to support themselvels, it is better to construct a trellis than to reduce the height. Remove foricanes after harvesting the fruit. This is usually in late June through early July, depending on the cultivar and weather. Removing canes allows better light penetration into the hedgerow for the newly developing shoots (primocanes) and will significantly reduce disease problems.

There's lots more helpful info and great sketches about trellising.
Newt

kitty-lover

The website you gave me is no longer available. Thanks for your help!

Sue,Illinois

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sue, it is, but just a bit tricky to figure out. On the first topic ' Growing Raspberries, G1580' click on 'Print Version' and it opens in pdf format.

Newt

kitty-lover

Thanks for your help! I got it to work. Many Thanks!

Newt
Greener Thumb

I'm glad you got it to work. I wish I had a site that is easier to access with such good info. Hope that one is helpful.

Newt

Return to “All Other Fruit”