Decado
Green Thumb

Tiny Raspberries

Half of my raspberries that are ripening up are extremely tiny, only about 10% of the size they should be getting. Why is this happening? Could it be a result of 2 weeks of rain every day and almost no sun? Or is there something else I can do?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Decado wrote:Half of my raspberries that are ripening up are extremely tiny, only about 10% of the size they should be getting. Why is this happening? Could it be a result of 2 weeks of rain every day and almost no sun? Or is there something else I can do?
There could be several reasons Decado.
First..what the weather was like when the fruit was in flower and very soon afterwards.
Poor pollination and cell devision in the berry will end up with small fruit.
As the rest of your plants are ok...this may be unlikely.

Virus. All rasps, as most other plants , can suffer from virus infection.
The culprit is aphids that can carry a whole range of viral infections.
If this is the problem then you have to hope that the plants are clear next year. If the same plants have the same problem next year remove them and burn. In the meantime make sure that the plants are kept aphid free.

Contamination by spray drift can also damage young fruit. Especially if hormone weedkillers were in the vicinity.

Damage of the root system by some problem like vine weevil will put the fruit under severe restriction.

Jona

Decado
Green Thumb

It's probably the 2 weeks of rain we had in the beginning of June, just as berries were forming. My neighbor also mentioned that I might have to thin them out (he has the same plants) so I'm going to try that this fall.

Return to “All Other Fruit”