tylianna

Everbearing strawberry plant runners

I bought 25 everbearing strawberries this spring and pinched them back until June. Then they started making runners, which we have tried to train them into rows.

I just read that you should cut off the runners so they will produce more crowns and make a fall crop. Is it too late to cut them? What will happen if I just leave them on?

TIA!

tylianna

bump? :)

I haven't done anything with the runners, but we have picked TWO berries so far!!

When is the 2nd harvest of strawberries supposed to start?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have everbearing strawberries, and I don't notice a crop start or stop. I just have continuous strawberries all season.

I take a small potting container, add soil, and then when runners start, I place it under the runner, make a pin to hold it down, usually out of wire, and let it stay right there until it grows and roots. Then when I remove the wire, and it is rooted enough to stay in place, I give it a bit more time, then cut it loose from its mother plant and then let it grow in the pot in the same location, until I know it is okay. Then I move it where ever I want it to be.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I say "ditto" to what OzarkLady said.

I planted my first Everbearing strawberry plants (Tribute variety) this Spring. In previous years, I only had June-bearing plants, so I was ready to try the Everbearers.
After planting, I cut off any blossoms and runners that appeared, for a couple of months, just to let the new plants establish themselves better. After I stopped pruning, the plants started producing berries, and also put out a lot of runners. I've been eating berries from those plants ever since, and also "duplicated" the crop in another location, by rooting the runners in styrofoam cups and moving them to another bed (similar to what OzarkLady described).

I love plants like Strawberries, because they reproduce and renew themselves so readily !!! :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”