Alex2010
Newly Registered

Potted Fig Trees showing no signs of life?

I purchased 2 fruiting fig trees last year, 1 is a desert king fig (6 ft) and the other is a black jack fig (5 ft). I neglected to bring them into the garage over the winter but our winter last year was very mild. It is now June and neither trees that are potted have any new leaves? It really hasn't made it past 70 degrees but shouldn't I have a leaf sprout? I have one mission fig tree in the ground that already has multiple branches and new growth. Could my 2 trees that are in the pots be dead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

Plants in containers are more susceptible to cold than are plants in the ground, because the roots are exposed to lower temperatures on all sides of the container. Plants in the ground are only susceptible to cold on the top surface.

It's also possible that the roots drowned, if the containers were exposed to the rain all winter. The soil in a container can only drain away in one direction ... out the bottom. Even then, there must be plenty of drainage holes to handle heavy rain.

Return to “All Other Fruit”