rosiegirl
Cool Member

blueberries not doing well

I recently planted 3 blueberry plants. a couple of weeks before we planted them, we used aluminum sulphate and used peat moss when we planted. about a week after planting, I check the soil's pH and it was good (low 5s, I think). they've been in for about a month so I tested the pH today at it was almost 7! ack!

what do I do? I can probably get some used coffee grounds from a coffee shop (we don't drink coffee) or can I use dry ones?

or should I find pine needles? or both coffee grounds and pine needles?

thanks!

(oh, I'm just east of new york city, I think it's zone 6B).

applestar
Mod

I think you need to consider that the spot you chose to grow your blueberries was not the most suitable. You'd be fighting the pH condition all year around. Better to move them now, while they're still small and roots haven't grown out than later.

Is there a source for the high pH? Concrete foundation, etc.? Does lawn products drain down to the area (I'm thinking lawn applications of lime)?

Is pH in other parts of your garden as high?

IS there another, more suitable location?
Blueberries do better in woods edge kind of a setting. Woody shrubs and trees also prefer more acid soil and preferentially create an enviroment that promotes acid-generating soil organisms. Grouping the blueberries with azaleas and hydrangeas is another idea.

rosiegirl
Cool Member

thanks!

they're growing right with azaleas (which do great there...they've been in the spot for 15 years!). they're above the lawn area but there's no lime application there, anyway. the soil is good there, I just can't seem to get the pH down!

I wish we could move them, but we have a small house with not too much space and there is no other location.

applestar
Mod

OK, hmm... I totally understand about having limited options due to small space. :roll: OK, I think I would start by mulching with composted pine bark mulch. Smaller chips would probably be better because they'll break down faster and not tie up the nutrients so much, but you might also put larger chips farther out.

My neighbor planted a row of Eastern White Pine that now overhangs the property line. I gather up all the pine needles and use them to mulch my blueberries. After Christmas, I have DH put our used Christmas tree by the blueberries and I cut off the branches to use as mulch until spring by which time the needles have fallen off and I can remove the branches. If you don't use them yourself, you could pick up discarded ones. If you know anyone that has and trims an evergreen hedge, you could use the trimmings.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The best pH for azaleas is 5.5 to 6, whereas blueberries do better when the pH is no higher than 4 or 5.

I have found those little soil test kits to be not very accurate. I used one to test my soil and it gave me a result of 7. Then I took a sample to the local Extension Service office, and their test gave a result of 5.5.

My situation was the opposite, however. I was trying to grow a plant that wanted a higher pH. I didn't understand why, when I got the rating of 7, the plant was doing so poorly. When the Extension Service reported that the pH was really 5.5, the problem was clear. :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”