applestar
Mod

Best way to plant Pie Cherry tree where Plum used to be

I have a disease-prone European Plum that is going to be cut down. It gets brown rot and gummosis. I intend to try inoculating the stump with Oyster Mushroom spawn.

I'd like to plant a genetic dwarf pie cherry (Northstar) in this spot, but I've heard that you shouldn't plant stone fruit where diseased stone fruit used to be. If I wait a year, what, if any, organic measures could I take to make the area more likely for the Pie Cherry to succeed? I do plan on spreading compost and spraying with EM-A and AACT.

I plan to plant a Cercis canadensis (Redbud) near it on it's north side as a N-fixer.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

There will always be a risk if you plant any stone fruit close to a recent site.
Bacterial canker is very persistant in the soil and there is not much you can do to irradicate the risk.......organicaly or chemicaly.
If you have to do it. Make the planting hole as large as possable and replace as much of the soil as you can with fresh.
Try to remove all the old root system from the site too...not an easy job.
I do think that leaving the old stump in situ may make the task more difficult so plant away from it as far as you can.

applestar
Mod

Thanks JONA. It sounds like the Pie Cherry may have to go somewhere else. The plums root system is EVERYWHERE. :roll:

I suppose I could just plant the Cercis there and create another native plant community grouping.... 8) :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”