Liska

Something's eating my strawberries!

I know, I know, you've all heard this story before. I'm not sure if it'd be anything in particular, but something's eating the new growth only of my strawberry plants. :(

All the rest of the more mature leaves seem to be untouched without any issues. I pulled a quick image from google to show what the holes look like since I had to leave for work and have no time to upload or take photos. Is there's something I can do to help protect the newer leaves without affecting the rest of the plant?

[img]https://I.ehow.com/images/a04/ul/e7/eating-plants-200X200.jpg[/img]

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Liska.
There is a possability that these holes could have been made by the adult vine weevil.
They cause no particular harm to the plant chewing the odd leaf....but it pays to check if they are the culprit as the larva is something that are a real pain.
They are particularly fond of strawberry roots and will chew away at them and can kill the plant. They look like fat off-white grubs happily chewing away at the base of the plant just below the soil surface.
The best way to check...rather than pulling a plant up...is to go out in the dark and quickly flash a torch under the leaves of the plants...if you find a smallish beetle running for covor the odds are its a vine weevil.
The size 10 boot is the recommended remedy.

Liska

JONA878 wrote:Hi Liska.
There is a possability that these holes could have been made by the adult vine weevil.
They cause no particular harm to the plant chewing the odd leaf....but it pays to check if they are the culprit as the larva is something that are a real pain.
They are particularly fond of strawberry roots and will chew away at them and can kill the plant. They look like fat off-white grubs happily chewing away at the base of the plant just below the soil surface.
The best way to check...rather than pulling a plant up...is to go out in the dark and quickly flash a torch under the leaves of the plants...if you find a smallish beetle running for covor the odds are its a vine weevil.
The size 10 boot is the recommended remedy.
I will go take a look tonight and do some hunting! *insert evil laugh here* :twisted: :twisted: Thank you :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”