Ms_Broken_Angel

What's eating my strawberries?HELP!!

:( Hello there I bought a few containers of strawberries and they were growing great I put them in the ground and they started to ripen even more. They were all red and I was gonna wait one more day to pick them for my smoothies and when I came out the next morning one of the biggest reddest berries I had my heart set on looked like it had been nibbled on or bitten I was sooo sad and confused I have no idea what ate it I live in California Los Angeles to be exact so there are not many animals running around here I have a dog and cats so there are no rodents in my yard but we do have birds sometimes. Is it the birds? Also today when I was watering I seen pincher bugs all over the berries and the tomatoes could it be the insects that are munching on my berries? What do I do? This is my first garden so I don't know what to do. Please Help me thank you in advance for your advice.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Angel.

I'm afraid that there are very few creatures in this world that do not like strawberries.
From slugs to mice to birds and beasties ...they all view the fruit as delicious feasting.
A good bird net will keep a lot at bay,and strawing up under the plants help keep the slugs and snails away.
Small beatles and bugs will also enjoy your berries although many of them need something else to have opened the fruit up for them.
I've found that you have to try to keep as many at bay as you can....and be prepared to share some with the rest!.
Jona

Ms_Broken_Angel

Thanks a bunch for your advice I guess I will be going down to get some bird netting today. Do you know if pincher bugs eat strawberries? They look like little scorpions and they are all over my tomatoes and strawberries. Thanks for the advice.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

You mean pill bugs or rollie pollies? I think they do, because I cought them too sitting on my berries. Unfortunately almost any bug or creature loves delicious berries. I put my Christmas tree needles around them,so slugs wouldn't eat them, and they don't, but bugs still do! :cry:

Return to “All Other Fruit”